Greater Ottawa County United Way (GOCUW) is a nonprofit with a mission to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of community to advance the common good. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision a community in which all individuals achieve their full potential. Greater Ottawa County United Way supports, develops, and implements a range of impact solutions that improve lives and create stronger communities. We serve both Allegan and Ottawa Counties.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
This position works closely with the CFO and President in the development and operation of the financial systems and reporting of multiple entities. This may include budgeting, auditing, accounting and financial reporting. It is the responsibility of the staff accountant to help maintain the accuracy, efficiency and integrity of software systems; at a level that best serves the organization and the multiple entities for which we provide shared services.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Work with CFO to determine responsibilities or duties for each fiduciary account and United Way
- Assist fiduciary staff in providing them with updated information and other reports
- Update income/expense and donor detail spreadsheets as necessary
- Complete general ledger and journal entries for all entities as required in the appropriate database
- Prepare and process positive pay, upload ACH and Natcha files as needed
- Prepare and send out all fiduciary, shared service and contract invoices – reimbursements, fees
- Prepare cash flow reports for various entities as needed
- Reconcile monthly operating bank accounts for all entities and submit to CFO for review
- Accurately complete financial reports for all fiduciary as required, potentially including United Way financial reports and submit to CFO for review
- Assist with audit and 990 preparation as requested
- Prepare and send out fiduciary tax receipts as needed
- Enter budgets into the general ledger software for all entities by fund and account code
- Complete and submit all Michigan Gaming applications and reports as required
- Assist CFO in internal controls and policy development
- Develop a clear understanding of all versions and aspects of the software CRM and systems
- Assist in developing policies about software usage that is clear and concise
- Ensure that all financial records are accurate for UWW and fiduciary reporting purposes
- Other duties may be assigned as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance is preferable or an associate’s degree in either discipline with 3+ years of experience pertaining to this field.
- Experience in computers, data entry, accounting practices and Microsoft Office 360 is required
- Knowledge and experience in MIP and Andar/Donor Databases would be helpful
- Knowledge of how Non-profits work and an understanding of database concepts especially as it pertains to donor management or non-profit applications would be ideal
- Demonstrated ability to communicate using verbal and written skills is essential
- Experience working within a team environment, using teamwork to achieve goals is vital
- Results oriented and ability to work quickly and accurately
- Flexible; can change focus and priorities easily; able to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive, able to anticipate outcomes and plan solutions
- Employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach hands and arms, talk and hear.
- High level of stress caused by tight and conflicting deadlines will occur
- Ability to lift and carry 20 lbs
- Moderate level of mental and/or visual fatigue or eyestrain may result from looking at a computer screen for extended periods of time
- Some travel within Ottawa, Allegan and Muskegon County is an integral part of this position. Occasional travel outside of these three counties and Michigan for training, workshops, and United Way meetings is rare but possible.
- This is a full time hourly position offering 40 hours per week typically between 9:00 am & 5:00 pm. Some early mornings or evening may be possible. $25 per hour with full benefits and a potential for a hybrid working environment.
- Financial Acumen
- Superior Performance
- Analytical with Attention to Detail
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.