OBJECTIVE: Indiana United Ways (IUW) is a statewide organization that helps local United Ways to thrive. With more than 50 members and a staff of 25, we are seeking a Staff Accountant to help make our vibrant organization function smoothly as we support United Ways, who fight for the health, education and financial stability of every individual in every community. This position serves local United Ways in Indiana and other States by meeting their financial reporting needs through a service called UniFi Solutions. UniFi Solutions provides backroom support (accounting, cloud hosting, and pledge processing) to more than 40 United Ways throughout the United States.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties require planning, organizing, and performing a variety of accounting duties for UniFi customers. Requires attention to detail, high degree of accuracy, reliability, timeliness, alertness, and use of judgment keeping the overall work flow professional and moving forward. Also requires writing ability and concentration. Access to and use of confidential data where discretion/sensitivity is of utmost importance. Specifics include:
- Create and maintain financial records of UniFi customers, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general ledger
- Provide payroll services, including the preparation of quarterly federal and state tax returns, and forms W-2, W-3, 1099, 1098
- Review the work of other staff accountants
- Coordinate and reconcile work with UniFi’s receipting and campaign team
- Insure compliance with all pertinent government laws, regulations, and reporting requirements, including United Way Worldwide guidance
- Assist with requests from customer auditors for annual audit and preparation of IRS form 990
- Assist with the development and maintenance of accounting procedures so that UniFi’s accounting functions operate with integrity and meet generally accepted accounting principles
- Create and maintain good relationships with all UniFi customers
- Adhere to deadlines and work schedules defined by working agreements
- Support and lead other UniFi activities and Indiana United Ways
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and high degree of confidentiality
- Ability to coordinate work with accounting team
- Ability to manage and meet multiple external deadlines
- Moderate level of decision making and creativity skills
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPEREINCE:
- Associates degree or higher in accounting, or sufficient accounting experience
- 1 - 3+ years of accounting experience
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team-based environment and build and maintain relationships across diverse staff and members
- Strong customer service experience: proactive approach, delighting the customer
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines with warmth and humor. High level of prioritization and organization skills.
- Heightened ability to discern and execute independent judgement. Problem solver.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office computer applications to include Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel and able to execute at an intermediate or above level. Knowledge of MIP accounting software is a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Moderate level of mental and/or visual fatigue and/or eyestrain may result from looking at a computer screen for extended periods of time and moderate office noise level.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Moderate level of stress caused from tight deadlines.
- Occasional work outside of normal business hours.
- Periodic travel, access to own transportation, and valid driver's license are required.
All IUW employees embrace and demonstrate the following:
- Integrity by being accountable for actions, keeping commitments, and speaking honestly and truthfully with others
- A continuous improvement work ethic
- A commitment to individual and team-based assignments
- Quality assurance by producing accurate and thorough work
- Interpersonal skills in dealing with others
- Valuing the diversity of others’ opinions and experiences
- Sound reasoning and good common sense
- The ability to meet and exceed customer expectations
- A willingness to develop self, team members, volunteers and members
- Active participation in departmental, team, and full-staff meetings
Please include a resume and cover letter outlining interest and salary requirements. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Apply online at https://careers.unitedway.org/jobs or email HR@iuw.org.
Indiana United Ways is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.