Vision and Mission:
At United Way of Northeast Florida, we envision a community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach their full potential. Our mission is to solve our community’s toughest challenges by connecting people, resources and ideas.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is not only valued and demonstrated in our hiring practices, it is a fundamental part of our mission throughout our organization and the communities we serve.
Purpose of Position:
This position provides technical expertise, and production support insuring accounting entries are completed accurately and timely. It is responsible for providing management with financial information by researching and analyzing accounts and preparing financial statements. This position supports the Controller and is responsible for maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely accounting records. It also insures quality work and customer service by valuing internal and external customers and cooperating productively with other employees, seeking ways to improve the quality and timeliness of work.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Support the department financial functions including payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivables, including coordinating with all departments regarding critical deadlines and approvals
- Responsible for accurate and timely month and year-end close procedures, including preparation and/or review of account reconciliations and journal entries
- Assist with local, state and federal government reporting requirements, audits and tax filings
- Assist in the coordination of licensing requirements, state charitable registrations, and the 1099 process
- Maintains and balances an automated consolidation system by inputting data; scheduling required tasks; verifying data
- Analyzes information and options by developing spreadsheet reports; verifying information
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data
- Provides accounting support by reviewing financial information; converting data to general ledger system; obtaining supplementary information for preparing financial statements
- The person in this position frequently communicates with employees, vendors, consumers who have financial inquiries. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Follow established internal controls and participate in on-going improvement process
- Collaborate on the evaluation and implementation of new data elements to provide key insights into which data fields best support effective storage and extraction for analysis
- Perform other duties as assigned
Experience / Position Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent experience preferred
- Five year plus accounting experience demonstrating a clear understanding of all areas of bookkeeping and general ledger entries preferred
- Ability to effectively work in virtual and office environments with minimal supervision and recommendations to prioritize work and outline steps necessary to complete a project
- Proficient knowledge of accounting, Microsoft Word and Excel for Windows
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills
- Ability to think strategically in the development of process improvements and policy enhancements
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize work and outline the steps necessary to complete a project and work in a team environment
- Flexibility to handle several on-going projects
- Ability to work well under pressure and to set and met deadlines
- Strong proficiency in accounting software applications and experience with StratusLIVE CRM software, Netsuite, and Accounting ERP Software.
- Non-profit background and knowledge of United Way policies and processes for campaign and financial reporting extremely helpful
- Experience with nonprofit audits and requirements a plus
Professional Core Competencies Required:
- Mission Focused: Provides leadership, resources and focus to change lives in our community by creating sustainable improvements in education, income and health.
- Relationship Oriented: Places people before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator (Includes teamwork and communication): Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial & human) through meaningful engagement. Strong supporter of a team environment. Presents information in a professional, accurate & effective manner.
- Results Driven: Dedicates efforts to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Fosters and supports principles of the organization and protects reputation and results of the greater network.
General Physical Requirements for Essential Functions of the Job:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and/or hear. Continual use of the hands with wrist and finger movement using a keyboard is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include long hours viewing a computer monitor screen. The employee may occasionally travel using personal vehicle and/or work outside normal office environment.
UWNEFL reserves the right to adjust work location. This position is currently remote due to COVID-19. Business needs will determine future work location.
This description is not designed to contain a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of all team members assigned to this position. It is intended only to describe the key elements relative to each section. Also, duties and/or requirements of this position may be modified, added or deleted at any time. This supersedes all descriptions previously written for the same position. Unique equivalent skills and experience may possibly substitute for required position requirements.
United Way of Northeast Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Environment.