POSITION TITLE: Staff Accountant
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full Time, Exempt
UNIT ORGANIZATION: Accounting / Finance
REPORTS TO: Chief Strategy and Operations Officer (CSOO)
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Staff Accountant will play a key role on the Accounting / Finance team in supporting the organization’s monthly, quarterly, and annual closing processes. The ideal candidate will be constantly searching for improvements, working to streamline processes, and support others in a team environment. This is a new role to the organization and will be joining an existing Accounting / Finance Team of 2 FTEs.
This position is responsible for preparing and processing various monthly recurring journal entries, creating and assisting in distributing department and program level financial statements for directors and program managers. Additionally, this position will create, maintain, and update various worksheets, detail schedules and trial balances in support of monthly, quarterly and annual closes.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares, or assists with preparing, several month-end recurring and non-recurring journal entries, including preparing supporting schedules
- Reconciles bank account statements, including the main operating account to the general ledger
- Reconciles several GL balance sheet accounts monthly and maintains documentation for annual audit
- Assist Directors and Senior Leadership Team members with monthly review of their respective general ledgers and needed reclasses
- Create and assist in the distribution of department and program level financial statements
- Prepares various month-end and year-end activities, including preparation of 1099 forms
- Create, maintain, and update various worksheets and detail schedules
- Support the annual budget, financial forecast, and long-range planning as needed
- Prepare cash flow analysis and management dashboards as needed
- Prepare financial statements for Fiscal Sponsored Programs
- Work with budget Managers to review and submit grant reporting to funding partners as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
There are no direct supervisory responsibilities.
A very high level of confidentiality and discretion is needed as the role will have access to confidential personnel and financial information.
- 3-5 years of experience in accounting required, relevant education considered in lieu of experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Outlook required.
- Use of accounting software required, knowledge of Abila MIP Accounting Software preferred.
- Commitment to the mission and values of United Way of Northwest Vermont
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and as part of a high-performing team
- Organized, able to prioritize, strategically plan, and meet deadlines
- Clear and effective communicator, a responsive listener, and an efficient collaborator in a way that builds excellent relationships.
- A high degree of attention to detail, trustworthiness, and comfort in dealing with numbers, spreadsheets, financial information, and vendors.
- Ability to translate and effectively communicate financial concepts to various audiences with varying levels of financial acumen
$40,000 - $50,000
UWNWVT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for candidates who will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the organization. Interested candidates may visit www.unitedwaynwvt.org for the full job description. To apply, candidates should send via e-mail a resume and cover letter to: Hiring@unitedwaynwvt.org. Applications accepted until position is filled.