United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-683-7860 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Office serves and supports the President and Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) and is engaged with a wide array of functions and responsibilities across the organization. This fast-paced team works directly with the CEO, regularly interfaces with the United Way Worldwide executive leadership team; United Way network senior executives, staff and volunteers; and external partners, advocates, donors, and groups. The team manages all aspects of the CEO’s schedule and engagement across and on behalf of this global organization.
The Special Assistant to the President & CEO position requires a high-energy assistant to travel with the CEO on her domestic and international business trips for meetings and speaking engagements in order to provide logistical support, capture appropriate information for post-event briefs and follow-up, provide social media content, and assist in managing social media engagement on all channels for the CEO. The Special Assistant participates in planning meetings in advance of travel, works with the CEO’s scheduler and speech writer, and provides post-travel debrief memos and related correspondence. The ideal candidate has excellent organizational skills, exceptional attention to detail, and the ability to thrive in a highly varied work environment.
This position is at UWW headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Travel domestically and internationally on a regular basis, providing logistical support and continual communications as needed for the CEO
- Record appropriate notes at all meetings, synthesize information, and provide written summaries to key UWW executive leadership team members
- Draft executive level professional correspondence for the CEO immediately following business trips to individuals met during the trip
- Capture social media content on trips and provide real-time to UWW Marketing & Communications team
- Assist in managing the CEO’s social media engagement on all channels
- Complete operational requirements to assist in scheduling the CEO’s travel
- Exhibit polite and professional communication in person and via telephone, video conferencing, email, and mail.
- Support the team by performing assigned tasks related to developing an efficient and highly effective Executive Office.
- Interface and coordinate with other staff members across the organization as they relate to the CEO’s travel engagements and planning of events involving the CEO
- Effectively use software programs to develop, design, track, and update documents, spreadsheets, dashboards, and presentations
- Use discretion and excellent judgment when dealing with confidential issues and information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Relevant prior experience in nonprofit, business or government sector
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite, computer, and Internet research skills
- Strong skills in managing social media engagement, including Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Project information coordination experience
- Ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside professionals and volunteers
- Sensitivity to confidential matters
- Attention to detail
- The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills (written and verbal), and a clear ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.