Title: Financial Literacy Educator
Program: SparkPoint OC
Reports To: Income Manager, SparkPoint OC
Position: Part Time, 1099 Contract
September 2020 to August 2021
15-20 hours per week
SparkPoint OC, a financial empowerment program, pairs families with a financial coach to develop personal financial plans that increase income, manage credit, reduce debt, and create sustainable household budgets that enable them to reach financial goals like paying for college. Parents who graduate from SparkPoint OC experience greater financial well-being than when they began. They have better control over day-to-day and month-to-month finances and have the capacity to continue to work towards their financial goals, allowing them to create a more stable home environment and a predictable future for their children.
SparkPoint OC is hiring a Financial Literacy Educator to work closely with the Financial Coaches and to increase workshop attendance for virtual financial literacy classes, ensure parent remote learning, and encourage full SparkPoint OC program participation.
SparkPoint workshops present the FDIC MoneySmart curriculum.
Overall purpose of role and responsibilities
Orange County United Way seeks an experienced Financial Literacy Educator to conduct remote program outreach and to teach virtual financial literacy workshops to low-income Orange County residents in English and Spanish. Goals include: increasing workshop attendance, increasing attendee’s financial literacy comprehension, and help attendees understand how the SparkPoint Financial Coaches can help them long-term.
The ideal candidate is an excellent teacher, possesses knowledge of personal finance, is passionate about educating low-income residents, fluent/bilingual and upholds the values of Orange County United Way.
Under the direction of the Income Manager, SparkPoint OC, the Financial Literacy Educator responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure compliance with Orange County United Way policies
- Coordinate schedules and communications with Income Manager
- Maintain accurate records of class presentations and attendance
- Facilitate pre and post evaluations of each workshop series
- Maintain confidentiality of all participant information
- Effective communicator and an experienced teacher/presenter
- Able to stimulate and motivate others while being aware-of and responsive-to their needs in a virtual setting
Logistics and Expected Outcomes
- Passionate individual who is friendly and genuinely interested in working with the community
- Encourage clients to learn more about the SparkPoint OC financial coaching program
- Conduct remote program outreach event to schools and community events to register workshop attendees per month
- Conduct bi-monthly SparkPoint OC program orientation to recruit community residents to the program and/or financial literacy classes
- Deliver clear and unbiased MoneySmart curriculum in an ongoing series of workshops
- Teach workshop series in English and Spanish (alternates per series)
- Teach 4 remote financial literacy workshop series per quarter
Desired qualifications and skillsets
The ideal candidate will have the following education and skill requirements:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish required (reading, writing, speaking)
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Teaching experience required
- Financial literacy education experience required – financial literacy certification(s) preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Computer literate, experience with MS Office suite of products, and Zoom
- Ability to represent SparkPoint OC, a program of Orange County United Way, with public/private partners across all levels of organizations
- A doer and team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, and energetic
- A decisive and resourceful individual with the willingness to accept responsibility and take charge of results; able to work successfully with limited resources
- Reliable internet connection and a quiet workspace free of disruptions
- Must be available to work flexible hours, including some evenings and Saturdays
- The passion to deliver as a remote worker, accustomed to that work style, though ideally you are also located in the Southern California for on-site availability as needed.
These physical demands are representative of the requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The employee is required to actively listen and communicate clearly. Ability to operate a computer keyboard. Remain in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods.
Send Resumes To:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South, Irvine, CA 92614