Orange County United Way
Title: Financial Literacy Educator
Program: SparkPoint OC
Reports To: Income Manager, SparkPoint OC
Position: Part Time, 1099 Contract
September 2019 to August 2020
15-20 hours per week
Purpose: Orange County United Way seeks an experienced Financial Literacy Educator to conduct program outreach and to teach financial literacy workshops to low-income residents in English and Spanish at school sites in Anaheim and Santa Ana. Goals include: increasing workshop attendance, attendees increase their financial literacy comprehension, and attendees understand how the SparkPoint Case Managers can help them long-term.
The ideal candidate is an excellent teacher, possesses knowledge of personal finance, is passionate about educating low-income residents, fluent/bilingual and upholds the values of Orange County United Way.
SparkPoint financial empowerment centers pair families with a financial coach to develop personal financial plans that increase income, manage credit, reduce debt, and create sustainable household budgets that enable them to reach financial goals like paying for college. Four of the SparkPoint centers are located at elementary schools in Anaheim and Santa Ana, to reach financially fragile families with unstable housing, that tend to make disruptive moves, causing interruptions in their children’s education. Parents who graduate from the SparkPoint program experience greater financial well-being than when they began. They have better control over day-to-day and month-to-month finances and have the capacity to continue to work towards their financial goals, allowing them to create a more stable home environment and a predictable future for their children.
Case Managers also teach financial literacy workshops to the student’s parents. SparkPoint is hiring a Financial Literacy Educator to work closely with the Case Managers and to increase workshop attendance, ensure parent learning, and encourage full SparkPoint program participation.
SparkPoint workshops present the FDIC MoneySmart curriculum.
- Effective communicator and an experienced teacher/presenter
- Able to stimulate and motivate others while being aware-of and responsive-to their needs
- Friendly and genuinely interested in working with the public and school personnel
The ideal candidate will have the following education and skill requirements:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish required (reading, writing, speaking)
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Teaching experience required
- Financial literacy education experience required – financial literacy certification(s) preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Computer literate and experience with MS Office suite of products
- Reliable transportation and valid CA Driver’s License
- Ability to represent SparkPoint OC, a program of Orange County United Way, with public/private partners across all levels of organizations
- A doer and team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, and energetic
- A decisive and resourceful individual with the willingness to accept responsibility and take charge of results; able to work successfully with limited resources
- Must be available to work flexible hours, including some evenings and Saturdays
Under the direction of the Income Manager, SparkPoint OC, the Financial Literacy Educator responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure compliance with Orange County United Way policies
- Conduct program outreach at school and community events to register workshop attendees
- Deliver clear and unbiased MoneySmart curriculum in an ongoing series of workshops
- Teach workshop series in English and Spanish (alternates per series)
- Coordinate schedules and communications with program staff and on-site case managers
- Maintain accurate records of class presentations and attendance
- Facilitate pre and post evaluations of each workshop series
- Maintain confidentiality of all participant information
- Encourage clients to learn more about the SparkPoint financial coaching program
These physical demands are representative of the requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The employee is required to actively listen and communicate clearly. The employee is required to stand and publically speak. The employee is required to walk, reach with arms and hands, balance, twist, lean, move from one location to another and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds. Vision abilities required by this job include close and far. Ability to operate a computer keyboard, and lift files and reports.
Send Resumes To:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South, Irvine, CA 92614