Position Title: SVP & Chief Marketing Officer
Reports to: President and Chief Executive Officer
Date: October 2018
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT:
The SVP & Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) will drive growth and awareness at United Way of Central Maryland (UWCM) by aligning and growing our traditional workplace and new digital businesses through multi-channel experiences, shaping and promoting our overall brand to attract, retain and grow donors resulting in greater contributions from businesses and their employees as well as individuals. Serving as an Executive Management Team (EMT) member, the CMO will join a group of passionate, talented professionals in a fast-paced, high-energy environment who live and breathe the UWCM’s mission “to unite and engage our communities to improve people’s lives.” As the role is transformational, the CMO will be a key driver in the adoption of digital technologies across the organization. Chief brand ambassador, the CMO will oversee strategy, systems and operations, creating and executing innovative marketing and fundraising strategies that, in addition to increased awareness and attainment of revenue targets, will help drive relevance and respect throughout central Maryland, enabling others to discover that “United Way is where you want to be.”
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
40% Revenue Generation Through New Customer Experiences and Business Models: Attract, retain and grow donor relationships through multiple channels such as, but not limited to, online platforms and e-commerce, re-imagined workplace campaigns, formal corporate agreements (uniting companies’ CSR goals and UWCM’s mission), events, volunteer and engagement activities and one-to-one opportunities.
Create marketing and public relations strategies that enable UWCM to cultivate and solidify meaningful, long-term relationships with targeted high-net worth donors, community influencers, partners from all sectors and the media.
Use digital as an opportunity to craft new experiences and enable measurable outcomes. Leverage a strong understanding of mass personalization at scale, social media, consumerism, cloud computing, mobility and Big Data business models and data science as starting points to designing a new digital experience. Cultivate strong relationships with marketing & digital industry experts and traditional & new media to support coverage of/exposure to our work in the community. Execute innovative stakeholder communications to educate and inform current donors and volunteers about UWCM’s activities and results.
25% Strategy Development: Develop and implement a comprehensive, integrated marketing and communications plan, development plan and ROI model to advance brand awareness and reputation as well as expand awareness of UWCM’s initiatives and programs, enhancing their visibility across multiple audiences and digital platforms to increase revenue to support them.
Identify challenges as well as emerging issues and opportunities, and collaborate with peers, volunteers and staff in crafting effective strategies to address them. Work with EMT and staff to seize communications and fundraising opportunities, developing and executing timely, cost-effective action plans.
Collaborate well with all colleagues on EMT, especially with leaders of the programmatic and major gifts areas to better align our programmatic work and revenue, resulting in stellar segmentation of UWCM’s target audiences, and increased giving that helps us make a bigger social impact faster across the region.
25% Online/Digital Marketing: Establish a “best in class” online presence that helps drive organizational impact through increased donor contributions and volunteer support and enables the organization to achieve aggressive fundraising and awareness growth objectives. Champion the adoption of digital approaches across UWCM and ensure long-term alignment to the organization’s strategy.
Maintain an attractive and engaging social media presence that inspires and empowers people from all walks of life to help spread UWCM’s word virally, letting others tell our story.
Create “point of giving” campaigns and partner in creating innovation initiatives with emphasis on speed and agility that translates ideas into actionable products, services and solutions quickly to increase the number of followers and convert them into donors, volunteers and advocates.
Evaluate and enhance SEO to own key search terms and drive donors and volunteers to us.
10% Supervision and Budget: Demonstrate acumen as a seasoned general manager, with a track record of development, design and oversight of traditional and new marketing and development functions by supervising Development, Marketing and Communications staff and managing the division’s budget while also participating in organizational budget planning.
- Develops long-term and annual organizational integrated marketing and communications and fundraising plans and meets defined revenue goals and objectives.
- Earns organization-wide commitment – getting everyone onboard with the marketing vision and enabling them to be ambassadors for the organization.
Wide range of constituents in private, public and nonprofit sectors at local, state and national levels as well as United Way staff, area businesses and organizations, nonprofit agencies, media, volunteers, vendors, etc.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications, journalism or a related field with a minimum of 10 years general management and supervisory experience with demonstrated performance in marketing. Master’s degree preferred. Marketing agency and sales experience highly preferred. Experience with nonprofits organizations, a plus.
- Proven experience in e-commerce and online fundraising and workplace-based fundraising.
- Track record and deep understanding of how to build long-term donor engagement/loyalty.
- Courageous “Big Thinker” business technologist with an orientation towards innovation, pragmatic value creation and nimble execution; demonstrates leadership, vision and insight.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong people skills; customer focus; teamwork and strength in managing volunteers and coaching staff.
- Ability to evaluate, extrapolate and act on insights from digital tools and platforms.
- Creative utilization of new technologies.
- Superior management skills and the keen ability to influence and engage people from all walks of life as well as direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Self-confidence and gravitas to gain the credibility and respect of key stakeholders such as the Board of Directors, corporate and foundation customers and partner organizations.
- Able to identify and pursue partnership opportunities, manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and be adept at coordination of people, tools and facilities to reach goals.
- Strong marketing and public relations, organizational development, fundraising and/or program experience w/extensive knowledge of United Way system.
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail.
- Achievement-oriented; shows initiative and enthusiasm while demonstrating uncompromising responsibility and courage, even in the face of difficulties.
- Has integrity; committed to ethical conduct and UWCM’s mission. Displays caring with sound judgment.
- Adaptable and open to alternative solutions; flexible; sense of humor.
- Pursues continuous learning & self-mastery; analyzing and acting on strengths/weaknesses.
- Inclusive - networks and partners with a broad and diverse group of stakeholders.
- Politically astute; acts as an influencer in the United Way movement and in its best interests.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: (sitting, standing, lifting, etc.)
Ability to stand or sit for extended periods; stamina to work long hours; ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs. for short distances. A valid driver’s license and own vehicle are required.