Organization: United Way of the Midlands
Job Title: Senior Vice President, Marketing & Communications
FLSA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Location: Omaha, NE
UWM’s Mission: To UNITE our community’s CARING SPIRIT to build a STRONGER tomorrow.
UWM Guiding Principles:
- Build TRUST in everything we do
- Extend GRACE by thinking beyond yourself
- Show GRIT by bringing it every day
- Be OPEN to embrace others’ differences
- Actively ENGAGE by listening and sharing
- Live CURIOUSLY to learn constantly
As an organization that has been around for nearly 100 years, United Way of the Midlands (UWM) has served the Omaha-Council Bluffs metro by bridging the business and not-for-profit sectors to create a Circle of Support that helps our neighbors overcome difficult challenges and start building a better future. UWM’s funded programs and direct services address social and economic disparities and meet families’ essential needs such as healthy food, safe and stable housing, physical and mental health services, career preparation and job training. We are also diligently working to learn more about the experiences of different communities and to strive for inclusivity and equity so individuals and families can lead the best lives possible.
The Senior Vice President, Marketing & Communications is a critical role at United Way of the Midlands (UWM) overseeing the agency's brand management and helping lead the strategic direction for the organization. Reporting to the President/CEO, this individual is responsible for the development and execution of the overall communication and marketing strategy for United Way and programs the organization administers including JAG Nebraska, 211, Goodfellows, among others. The SVP is accountable for positioning UWM as a proactive catalyst for community change and for directing the development of all external communications tailored to a variety of target audiences including current and prospective donors, community and business leaders, elected officials, media and more.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement strategic communications plan for United Way and its programs (JAG Nebraska, 211 etc.), to build engagement with target audiences; identify new partnership opportunities and develop relationship-building strategies to generate donor loyalty.
- Utilize communication strategies to make UWM's mission a cause people can identify with and take action to support, achieving an emotional connection with target audiences through issues management, marketing materials, events, and other communication vehicles.
- Drives digital and social media strategy and implementation to build awareness, increase outreach and generate donations through digital platforms.
- Provide issues management, strategic communication, public outreach and other activities to inform and influence policies and opinions in areas of interest.
- Develops public relations strategy. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with traditional news and new media, key civic and business organizations, and provide information and communication tools as needed to officials at City, County, State, and Federal levels.
- Ensure consistency across the organization of brand assets, including collateral and owned digital media, as well as staff use of social media.
- Monitoring all metrics related to our donor/supporter list – acquisition, retention, and reactivation of lapsed donors.
- Developing strategies that broaden our traditional profile of donors using data and segmentation modeling.
- In conjunction with the IT team, advise and inform the software and technology strategy required to support effective marketing and communications for the entire organization.
- Oversees development and execution of special events to increase awareness and engagement with UWM.
- Provide marketing and communication support to UWM affinity groups including Women United and Emerging Leaders.
- Lead, grow and support the efforts to increase engagement and fundraising among Emerging Leaders, a UWM affinity group.
- Recruits, leads and coaches the marketing and communications team.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- An energetic interest for brand management that permeates through personality, thinking, building relationships, interacting with stakeholders, story-telling, and implementing strategy.
- Ability to tailor communications that effectively connects with diverse audiences.
- Proven ability to develop and implement public affairs, marketing and communications plans that achieve specific, measurable results.
- Exceptional interpersonal, leadership, supervisory and organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities; ability to navigate complex situations, helping to resolve ambiguity and inspire colleagues to their best performance.
- Outstanding communication skills; good listener who includes and engages others and can modify his/her approach to the audience; superior written and oral communications; adept at public speaking.
- Familiarity with the Omaha-Council Bluffs metro market, issues, and constituents is a plus.
- English proficiency sufficient for communication with supervisors, co-workers, clients and customers.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Have a keen eye for detail, tone and style.
- Working experience with communication and office tools – Zoom, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint, social channels (FB, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn), WordPress and an understanding of Adobe Creative Suite.
Oversees a team of marketing and communications professionals. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university required. Master's degree a plus, but not required;
- Ten (10) plus years related experience in strategic marketing, re-branding, communications, sales support, public relations, branding and social media. At least five (5) years of supervision experience including leading a marketing and communications team composed of graphic design, social media, events, and public relations while participating as a member of the senior team to help guide the strategic direction of an organization.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Regularly reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Shared health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous 401(k) Retirement plan
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employer paid life and disability insurance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Onsite cafeteria and gym
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume to resume@UWMidlands.org
United Way of the Midlands is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.