Job Title: Senior Vice President, Communications
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Suncoast Region
Date: January 2020
Summary: The Senior Vice President (SVP), Communications and Marketing provides vision, leadership, and direction for United Way Suncoast’s (UWS) communications. The SVP leads the development and execution of a comprehensive, multi-faceted communications and marketing program that maintains and augments UWS’s position as a leading Non-Profit in the Suncoast Region. The SVP will steward the organization’s brand, strengthen the public profile of UWS and its campaigns; conceive and execute creative marketing campaigns which support program and development efforts; engage the public; lead efforts to reach new audiences and advance the work of UWS in the identified strategic areas. The SVP will have a pulse on the ever-evolving media and information consumption landscape, and have a proven ability to balance numerous priorities, with a proactive mindset.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities – Other duties may be assigned:
- Counsel the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and key leaders regarding effective communication messages and channels to key stakeholder audiences. Prepare scripts, letters, etc., as needed.
- Collaborate with the Resource Development team to plan, design, and develop all materials/tools required for the annual campaign, direct mail solicitation, new business development, leadership and major gift development, and all fundraising events and activities.
- Collaborate with the Community Impact team to plan, design, and develop all materials/tools required to communicate with key audiences about UWS’s priority issues/initiatives/partnerships and impact.
- Prepare position papers and other communications tools regarding priority community issues and solutions.
- Direct and coordinate the content and production of United Way e-newsletters and social media.
- Champion internal database systems and quality to ensure proper “list” management for external communications.
- Weave together organization-wide communications around advocacy efforts.
Marketing Strategy Development
- Develop and direct marketing strategy in alignment with United Way Worldwide (UWW) brand guidelines, UWS’s strategic plan, and UWS’s community impact priorities.
- Implement and oversee the integration and coordination of all marketing strategy and activity.
- Identify changes in the marketing environment; evaluate and modify UWS’s marketing strategy, plan, and philosophy accordingly.
- Design and implement a consistent system for measuring the success of all UWS marketing activities.
- Develop brand strategy for UWS that is consistent with UWW brand standards.
- Manage the brand to build relationships and awareness necessary to position UWS as the philanthropic leader in community impact to achieve strategic growth in resource development.
- Work in partnership with all levels of staff to ensure consistent and appropriate messaging and marketing of all UWS activities. Train staff on messaging platform.
- Ensure that all Boards and key stakeholders are trained on brand messaging, so that they become brand ambassadors.
- Ensure the creative and efficient use of all UWS resources to raise the visibility of UWS, and to increase awareness among a variety of stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain a UWS website that meets industry standards for quality and effectiveness.
Media and Public Relations
- Serve as a primary spokesperson for UWS with the media.
- Proactively generate year-round media coverage for UWS; including preparation of written and visual communications designed to attract the attention of the media.
- Build relationships with all media related resources (individuals and organizations) and leverage those relationships on behalf of UWS.
- Envision and implement public relations opportunities to effectively tell the UWS story to a variety of stakeholder audiences.
- Develop and oversee all advertising opportunities for UWS.
- Prepare and train key volunteers and staff who may have contact with the press as media spokespersons for UWS.
- Partner with other team members to envision appropriate public events to promote the work and reputation of UWS.
- Provide communications and marketing leadership for UWS special events including creating scripts and content for programs, securing in-kind contributions and vendors, and taking initiative to coordinate with others inside and outside the organization to ensure a positive brand experience for all attendees within establish budget parameters.
- Collaborate with the Chief Strategy and Operations Officer in the development and oversight of the annual communications and marketing budget.
- Provide leadership in the identification of cost efficiencies and maximum return on investments for all communications and marketing related activities.
- Manage internal staff and external agencies and consultants.
• BS degree in Marketing, Communications or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum 7 years’ experience in a position of marketing leadership.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Demonstrated success with marketing, brand management, and strategic innovation.
- Demonstrated supervisory and interpersonal skills with the ability to discern and react appropriately to sensitive or urgent information.
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as presentation and training skills.
- Exhibits the ability to inspire confidence in the United Way volunteer leadership, staff, professional advisors and potential donors.
- The successful candidate must be a strategic thinker who is highly motivated and grounded with the highest ethical standards.
- Ability to travel to Hillsborough, Pinellas, Manatee and Sarasota counties and other offsite locations as required.
- Requires advanced knowledge of MS Office software and social media applications.
- Requires demonstrated knowledge of database programs for customer relationship management.
Licenses: Valid Florida Driver’s License with a driving record that meets our insurance guidelines.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion and occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employee primarily works in a normal office environment under moderate heat and noise levels.
United Way Suncoast is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way Suncoast will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.