Job Title: Senior Manager, Neighborhood Initiatives
Department: Community Impact
Reports to: Director, Neighborhood Initiatives
Location: Tampa Region
Date: October 2018
Summary: United Way Suncoast leverages relationships and invests resources to drive social change. We lead the community in achieving measurable results in the areas of Early Literacy, Youth Success, and Financial Stability. Our Vision is uniting people, ideas, and resources to advance the common good. Our Mission is to break the cycle of generational poverty through educational programs that give children the skills to succeed and help adults achieve long-term financial stability, so they can support themselves and their families.
The Senior Manager, Neighborhood Initiatives, will plan and organize daily functions of the Resource Center, which provides multiple resources, services, and other support to residents of the community, aligned with the strategic plan for the Center and United Way Suncoast. The Senior Manager will work with the Director, Neighborhood Initiatives to develop and implement standards, methods, procedures, and improvements, to be utilized in the overall assessment of the center. The Senior Manager will also be responsible for promoting center activities, providing materials to center participants and partners, and monitoring the daily activities of the center.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate an understanding of the issues, community needs, and existing systems of care related to the assigned impact and/or focus area. Candidate must be customer focused, data-driven, and organized and results oriented. He/she must also believe and exemplify United Way competencies and support the United Way Suncoast’s mission, vision and values. The candidate must be able to provide leadership and support to community, agencies and organizations to further the mission of the program. He/she must also be able to effectively articulate core standards, both verbally and in writing, to multiple audiences with the expressed purpose of raising public awareness of issues, educating donors, convening the community around issues and affecting community action.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
Representing and working within United Way Suncoast:
- Serve as a professional representative of United Way Suncoast, complying with established corporate guidelines and in support of the organization’s mission and vision.
- Provide day-to-day leadership for service delivery by resource center staff and on-site partners.
- Work with the Director, Neighborhood Initiatives to identify and take ownership in the implementation of program goals and objectives.
- Establish and promote a system to communicate Resource Center activities to the community and partners.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings and training events.
- Manage staff in accordance with United Way Suncoast management expectations.
- Perform additional functions or assume additional responsibilities as needed or as requested by your supervisor. Maintain electronic and hard copy filing system.
- Manage data efficiently, prepare reports and make presentations.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings and manage calendar of events for center.
- Assist in resolving any administrative problems.
- Partner with the Marketing Department in the creation of flyers for programs and events.
- Attend and assist with job fairs and community events.
- Participate in internal and external committees to gain and keep current United Way Suncoast understanding.
- Participate in community and civic activities to increase networking and public awareness of United Way Suncoast.
- Conduct operations effectively and efficiently and promote a cooperative spirit within the United Way Suncoast organization.
- Serve as a point of contact for community engagement while implementing United Way Suncoast’s community impact objectives.
Directly supporting the community:
- Assist clients with understanding academic and career options.
- Identify and provide input for comprehensive trainings to help participants identify their goals and create action plans for career growth.
- Refer participants to community resources for services such as job placement, financial literacy counseling, legal aid, housing, medical treatment, or financial assistance.
- Help participants identify their natural strengths, personality, behavior, motivations, abilities and desires.
- Provide coaching and career counseling to a diverse group of people interested in advancing their careers.
- Assist participants with computers, scanning, faxing, copying and other resources.
- Provide the “ideal experience” for the community by promptly handling inquiries and regularly communicating the community impact of the center.
- Identify potential program participants and facilitate participation in appropriate programs.
- Some weekend work required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
Qualifications: The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential job duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Ideal candidate understands the value of personal relationships in the business environment, has rapport with a wide range of people at varying levels in the organization, maintains composure in potentially stressful or difficult situations, and possesses a desire for professional development.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree required. Five or more years of progressively responsible experience in the field of social work, education, administration or related field required. Knowledge of customer service, project and volunteer management required. Strong written and oral communication skills and planning also required.
Excellent active listening, negotiating, conflict resolution, coordination, social perceptiveness, and consensus building skills necessary. Strong problem solving and judgment skills required. Business writing skills are necessary. Problem sensitivity skills and cultural diversity skills are required. Must have demonstrated a high level of experience and success in building productive professional/working relationships with diverse individuals and groups. Exceptional customer service skills, over the phone and in person, are necessary. Strong multi-tasking and time-management skills and the ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality.
Position requires knowledge and ability to develop presentations. Excellent public speaking and presentation skills are necessary. Ability to present information and respond to questions from groups of diverse organizational employees, managers, and senior decision makers.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Fluency in verbal and written English is required; fluency in Spanish is highly desirable. Ability to write reports and business correspondence is necessary. Good research skills and attention to detail are required.
Computer and Analytic Skills
Requires advanced knowledge of MS office software and data base programs. Must be able to apply modern office methods and practices including filing, proofreading, formatting, report writing, copying, operation of computer software programs including work processing and spreadsheet tools, calculators, and other standard office equipment. Ability to prioritize projects and strong problem-solving skills are required.
Licenses: Valid Florida Driver’s License and a driving record that meets the United Way Suncoast’s insurance requirements.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motions and occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employee primarily works in a normal office environment under moderate heat and noise levels, with extensive in-the field activities within the Suncoast area.
United Way Suncoast is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way Suncoast will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Local candidates only