United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world’s most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
The Senior Manager, Justice & Opportunity supports the successful design and implementation of UWNYC’s criminal justice initiatives, specifically the Atlas program launched in partnership with the NYC Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (MOCJ). UWNYC, as a prime vendor, is committed to implementing Atlas, a program model grounded in evidence-based practices, to achieve improved public safety and community well-being across New York City. The Senior Manager will support Justice & Opportunity senior staff in executing the Atlas program model. The Senior Manager will manage referrals, conduct site visits, execute written communication to CBOs and partners, support program data collection and evaluation, liaise with the grants team across Finance and Legal/Administration, and lead logistical planning for convenings and trainings.
Under the direction of the VP of Justice & Opportunity UWNYC:
- Assist with Program Development and Implementation to successfully implement Atlas initiatives
- Work with partners and stakeholders to address challenges to help advance mission
- Create reports and evaluations for stakeholders and Atlas partners to help operationalize the work
- Assist with project management to ensure quality improvement and quality control process in all stages of program development and implementation
- Assist with providing clarity around goals and priorities
- Provide administrative support to the VP of Justice & Opportunity and team as needed
Justice & Opportunity is a new unit and UWNYC will look to the Senior Manager to execute key strategies and objectives, collect, and analyze metrics and impact goals, and implement operational & organizational structures to enhance cross-functional collaboration around justice initiatives. This unit is essentially in “startup” mode and requires an entrepreneurial individual who is comfortable and inspired by supporting a new unit.
- As directed, work closely with the StrengthenNYC team to provide capacity building, community building, and technical assistance to CBOs / subcontractors.
- As directed, work closely with Transformation & Learning team to measure program goals, strategies, and outcomes, and ensure continuous learning and improvement for the program.
- As directed, work closely with Finance and Administration staff to ensure procurement, contract compliance, and payment to CBOs / subcontractors.
- As directed, work with Resource Development team to provide data, anecdotal information, and success stories to support fundraising opportunities. Support administrative tasks and logistics for the Innovation Fund.
- As directed collaborate with Marketing & Communications team to develop justice & opportunity materials and collateral, execute social and traditional media, manage logistical planning for photo and video shoots.
- Help support day-to-day relationships with the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (MOCJ), working closely with their Office of Neighborhood Safety leadership, program staff, contracting, and finance staff to ensure program success.
- Help manage relationships with New York City Criminal Justice Agency (CJA) and other referral partners as well as CBOs/ providers to ensure referrals are completed.
- Help support relationships with therapeutic model experts and support CBOs with on-the-ground technical assistance and capacity building to ensure model fidelity, lead convenings, and training.
- Assist in Managing referral hub providing the highest level of customer service and attention to detail.
- Assist in leading logistical planning for CBO/ subcontractor convenings, training, site visits, and events.
- Help support meetings and convenings of external stakeholders by building and setting agendas, developing meeting materials, liaising with invitees and attendees, and ensuring follow-up.
- Help support program compliance and outcomes measurement.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Position requires a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred, in criminal justice, community engagement, or other related fields preferable; three to five years of related experience or equivalent of education and experience.
- Deep understanding of criminal justice system, stakeholders, agencies, and providers; context within New York City preferred.
- Experience with large-scale program implementation.
- Strong verbal and written communications with exceptional attention to detail.
- Recognition of the importance of interdepartmental coordination and communication.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills and strong ability to build partnerships.
- Ability to both work independently and be a team player.
- Excellent writing, editing, verbal, and presentation skills
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and results
- Demonstrated experience building, leading, and mentoring a team of program specialists, both internal and external
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
- Management skills, including the ability to manage to budget priorities
- A passion for UWNYC’s mission, vision, and accomplishments
- Fully vaccinated for Covid-19
How to apply
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Senior Manager, Justice & Opportunity” in the subject line. No phone calls or faxes are accepted.
United Way of New York City is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer