Job Title: Senior Manager, Community Impact
Department: Community Impact
Reports to: Sarasota Area President
Location: Sarasota, FL
Date: October 2018
Summary: Under the guidance of the Sarasota Area President, lead the development of the Community Impact plan. Organize and coordinate the execution of a plan to ensure an effective system of collective Community Impact. Create and promote awareness of and support for United Way Suncoast impact work in Sarasota and DeSoto counties. Facilitate communication and relationship-building with community partners and key stakeholders, local organizations, businesses and individuals). Provide communication support internally and externally. Foster effective performance and meaningful contribution of volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
Community and Strategic Leadership
- Champion strategies and processes for furthering United Way Suncoast Sarasota/DeSoto Community impact.
- Promote United Way leadership role in the social service sector.
- Actively participate in systems-level change processes to improve social conditions.
- Develop and build relationships that bring partners and stakeholders together to effect systems change. Maintain knowledge of current and evolving community needs and resources, as well as community impact trends as it pertains to the neighborhood-based initiatives.
Community Impact Management
- Support and guide the collective impact process toward common agenda goals by: convening partners and stakeholders; facilitating communication and collaboration to establish shared measurement and aligned activities; and tracking and reporting progress toward shared outcomes.
- Work in a collaborative environment with a diverse group of high-profile community leaders to manage multiple projects.
- Raise public awareness of ALICE and work with Resource Development and Marketing teams to integrate ALICE messaging into communication strategies.
- Coordinate, consult, gain consensus and institute controls to ensure accountability for the work of multiple partners.
- Working with the Senior Managers of Investment Strategies and Data and Outcome, ensure funded investments are evidence based and achieve impact that is aligned to United Way strategies.
- Provide technical guidance and assistance to staff, partners and volunteers regarding policies, management, and outcome measurement.
- Lead special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
Internal and External Communication
- Represent United Way’s brand in the community.
- Provide inspirational and persuasive communication about United Way Community impact to a wide variety of audiences.
- Assist with the development of key communication messages around United Way impact.
- Work closely with the Resource Development and Marketing staff to ensure maximum understanding and use of Community Impact and partner information to co-create communication collateral.
- Support the recruitment, orientation, and retention of volunteers on United Way Community impact committees and targeted initiatives.
- Communicate the vision and provide leadership for Community Impact volunteers.
- Partner with Community Investment regional staff and volunteers regarding the funding review process to ensure meaningful volunteer engagement in the process.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Interns, Volunteers
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- At least 5-7 years of relevant experience in a nonprofit environment or developing and facilitating community collaborations or partnerships.
- Experience in program management and/or project coordination, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge of: Volunteer Management principles, Project Management, Community Planning.
Interpersonal Skills: Excellent communication skills, oral and written, including active listening, conflict resolution, coordination, facilitation, social perceptiveness, and consensus-building skills necessary. Successful team-building, influencing diverse individuals and groups to achieve necessary outcomes.
Abilities: Must be self-motivated and work well independently and in a fast-paced team environment. Demonstrated facilitation, conflict resolution, time management and organizational skills. Agility in learning, adapting to changes and interacting with a wide variety of individuals.
Computer Skills: Requires advanced knowledge of MS Office software and use of internet and database programs.
Presentations Skills: Requires advanced knowledge and ability to develop and deliver presentations, excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
Driver’s License: Valid Florida Driver’s License with a driving record that meets the United Way Suncoast insurance requirements.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion and occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 30 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee primarily works in a normal office environment under moderate heat and noise levels with significant in-field time. Driving is required to a variety of sites that may cover Hillsborough, Pinellas, Manatee and DeSoto Counties, with most meetings held in the Sarasota area.
United Way Suncoast is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way Suncoast will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.