The Senior Manager of Affinity Groups/Major Gifts is a highly organized, self-directed, strategic thinker that effectively sets priorities and solves problems while developing cooperative, productive relationships with United Way Suncoast’s affinity groups/donors. By providing strategic oversight and guidance to lead those within each group’s membership portfolio, he/she can ensure the mission of United Way is reflected in the groups’ activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
Serve as the staff manager for United Way Suncoast’s Women United and Young Leader Societies, developing and implementing strategies to deepen their engagement with United Way Suncoast. Specific activities include:
- Achieve financial, growth and engagement goals associated with Affinity groups.
- Manage a major gift portfolio and achieve growth and retention goal.
- Create/update and manage the business plans for each group, thereby guiding the work and establishing the function of each group
- Manage affinity group budget(s) to include events and other costs associated with affinity group management
- Lead in efforts to achieve measurable goals designed to expand and deepen membership engagement
- Develop, test, promote and periodically refresh value-added membership portfolios
- Collaborate with other resource development staff in acquiring new members in and out of the workplace
- Prepare data-based reports on each of the affinity groups to measure progress and drive future success and develop suggestions to further the effectiveness of the affinity group activities and strategies
- Other duties as assigned
Communicate clearly, regularly and effectively with steering committee members of each affinity group, and with the entire body of members, as feasible, to build coordination, teamwork, enthusiasm and a sense of common purpose. Specific activities include:
- Prepare and distribute an appropriately branded quarterly e-newsletter for each affinity group to enhance communication with their members and build their engagement with United Way Suncoast
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers for the respective group
- Collaborate with marketing to coordinate creation of accurate and branded collateral for affinity groups as appropriate
- Coordinate and lead regular steering committee meetings
Work collaboratively with other team members and departments.
- Provide guidance and direction for volunteer projects selected by affinity group steering committees to support the mission of United Way Suncoast
- Partner with the Engagement team staff to ensure compelling mission-aligned event programming
- In partnership with the Engagement team, plan and implement strategic, data-driven, branded, mission-focused affinity group events that recognize, steward and further cultivate current donors, volunteers and prospects, increasing their engagement with the organization. Specific activities include:
- Work collaboratively with Marketing and Resource Development staff to create and hold strategic, branded, mission-focused events that are well attended.
- Create communication plans for event close-out and follow up including evaluations and outcome reports.
- Work in conjunction with the Chief Development Officer, Major Gifts team and Senior Director of Corporate Philanthropy to identify potential donors and solicit donations where appropriate.
- Serve as a Resource Development representative on internal project teams as needed.
- Ensure compliance with insurance, legal, safety and health regulations.
Education and Experience Requirements:
The ideal candidate will have at least a Bachelor’s Degree preferably in business, marketing, or communications discipline, and a minimum of 5-7 years’ work experience.
Budget management experience, the ability to manage multiple priorities and projects in a fast-paced environment; the ability to set and achieve short and long-term goals, and the ability to identify and access long-range giving potential. A high degree of personal responsibility and integrity.
- Be investor centric and deliver stellar customer service consistently
- Have excellent time, planning, project and event management skills
- Be able to present and communicate in both written and verbal forms
- Be agile, resilient, detailed and creative
- Be able to successfully work on own initiative
- Be able to handle demands, targets, guidelines, and high stress situations
- Have excellent networking and business acquisition skills
- Be consistent, dependable and efficient
- Have leadership and organizational skills
- Superior nonverbal awareness and communication skills
- Excellent active listening and ability to show empathy
- Persuasive, consultative selling and negotiating skills
- Strong complex problem solving, coordination, critical thinking, interpersonal and judgment skills required
- Must have demonstrated a high level of experience and success in building productive, professional and working relationships with diverse individuals and groups
Ability to read, analyze and interpret business periodicals, news articles and professional publications. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to present information to and respond to questions from groups of diverse organizational employees, managers, and senior level high profile decision makers.
Computer and Analytic Skills:
Requires advanced knowledge of MS Office software and data base programs. Strong analytic and strategic planning skills required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Licenses: Valid Florida Driver’s License with a driving record that meets our insurance guidelines.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion and occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee primarily works in a normal office environment under moderate heat and noise levels, with extensive in-the field activities within the Suncoast region.
United Way Suncoast is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way Suncoast will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.