ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail Jennifer.Chavez@uww.unitedway.org or call 703-683-7860 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
The Senior Director, Strategic Communications partners with the VP of Communications to build awareness of and support for organizational priorities, vision, values, areas of impact and strategic plan to strengthen brand position and influence stakeholder support for United Way globally.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES: An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Collaborate with internal teams to create integrated communications plans and campaigns that build awareness, understanding and participation of their specific priorities in support of overarching organizational goals.
- In partnership with the VP of Communications, synthesize brand research, cultural intelligence and strategic imperatives to inform messaging and strategy for engaging target audiences.
- Identify through research and analysis, the resources, campaigns and/or best practices needed to elevate organizational voice and communications efforts.
- Partner with the Vice President of Communications to ensure internal and external stakeholders experience a UWW voice that is clear, unified, inclusive and compelling.
- Evaluate and optimize communications channels to effectively reach target audiences.
- Help ensure all internal and external communications are inclusive and accessible.
- Supervise and develop direct reports responsible for network communications, and the content and storytelling strategy.
- Establish, measure and report on performance metrics.
- Manages assigned agency and vendor relationships.
- Periodic travel may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 10 years of experience leading successful strategic integrated marketing and communications efforts for a matrix organization.
- Expertise in aligning communications to drive strategic goals in support of organizational priorities is required.
- Strong competencies across the entire scope of strategic integrated communications, including internal/external communications, executive communications, thought leadership, public relations, stakeholder engagement, etc., is required.
- Eight years of experience managing integrated marketing and communications campaigns.
- Demonstrated experience in brand research, metrics, analysis and evaluation of marketing and communications initiatives and campaigns.
- Five years of experience leading efforts to integrate DEI strategies across organizational communications and platforms.
- Proven ability to integrate message frameworks and brand voice into communications.
- Experience with developing and implementing marketing and communications efforts for a decentralized global organization is preferred.
- Strong cultural competencies and ability to effectively communicate to a diverse, global audience.
- Experience utilizing project management software is preferred.
- Proven ability to establish and evaluate performance metrics.
- Excellent strategic and conceptual thinking, and decision-making skills are required.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field is required.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
NOTE: If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted. Thank you.
NOTE: Position will close midnight May 2, 2023.
The budgeted salary range for this position is currently $150,000 to $170,000 per year. Proffered salaries are determined by several factors including applicant’s knowledge, skills, experience, position, equity, and market data.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.