Organization Summary: United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
For our 80+ year history, the heart of our work at UWNYC has and will continue to be about equity and justice. For nearly the past decade, our work uniquely centers around breaking down the systemic barriers that disproportionally set up communities of color with less opportunity for education, job training, food access, healthcare and essential services that empower self-sufficiency. All our work is done in alignment with our mission to mobilize communities to break down barriers and build opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers for the benefit of all. These efforts include research, collaboration, capacity-building, direct service, and resources in the areas of racial equity and justice, health equity, and workforce development. We are focused on building a healthy, strong, and self-sufficient community where all New Yorkers can thrive.
Position Description: The Senior Director, Justice & Opportunity works to ensure the successful design and implementation of UWNYC’s criminal justice initiatives, specifically the Atlas program launched in partnership with the NYC Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (MOCJ). UWNYC, as prime vendor, is committed to implementing Atlas, a program model grounded in evidence-based practices, to achieve improved public safety and community well-being across New York City. The Senior Director will develop, operationalize, and implement Atlas from launch, and work cross-functionally to ensure program fidelity, compliance, and fiscal management. The Senior Director will manage (1) full-time employee: Senior Manager, Justice & Opportunity.
Justice & Opportunity is an emerging unit and UWNYC will look to the Senior Director to establish key strategies and objectives as well as metrics, impact goals, and operational & organizational structures to enhance cross-functional collaboration around justice initiatives. This unit is essentially in “startup” mode and requires an entrepreneurial individual who is comfortable and inspired by building a new unit. The Senior Director will work closely with MOCJ as well as our network of corporate, philanthropic and community-based partners, In addition, this position will work with key government agencies and justice system stakeholders to design and implement Atlas and other justice initiatives.
The Justice & Opportunity team will ensure the successful design and implementation of the Atlas program through the following activities:
· Catalyzing, convening, and weaving the network
· Guiding Vision and Strategy
· Serving as Network Coordinator
· Supporting Measurement and Learning
· Managing Collaborative Projects
· Engaging in advocacy and engaging the broader community in building public will
· Governing and coaching the network
· Participating in the network
The Senior Director will specifically manage relationships with Atlas community-based organization (CBO) partners/ subcontractors, government agency stakeholders, and other key stakeholders within the criminal justice system. This person will oversee referral completion, support CBOs with on-the-ground technical assistance and capacity building to ensure model fidelity, lead convenings and trainings, and work cross-functionally to ensure program fidelity, compliance, and fiscal management. The Senior Director will build the internal systems, processes, and protocols in order to operationalize this new program and ensure success.
Strategic Leadership & Teambuilding:
- Assist in Leading and developing the vision and goals for the unit
- Manage Senior Manager, Justice & Opportunity, and external consultants.
- Work closely with the StrengthenNYC team to provide capacity building, community building, and technical assistance to CBOs / subcontractors.
- Work closely with Transformation & Learning team to set program goals, strategies, and outcomes, measure performance, and ensure continuous learning and improvement for the program.
- Work closely with Finance and Administration staff to ensure procurement, contract compliance, and payment to CBOs / subcontractors.
- Work with the Resource Development team to manage stakeholder relationships, support fundraising opportunities, and manage/implement the Innovation Fund.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Communications team to develop and implement a communications strategy for justice & opportunity priorities and strategies.
- Work with other UWNYC departments as needed
- In conjunction with management direction, manage day-to-day relationship with the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (MOCJ), working closely with their Office of Neighborhood Safety leadership, program staff, contracting and finance staff to ensure program success.
- In conjunction with management direction, manage relationships with Atlas community-based organization (CBO) partners/ subcontractors, government agency stakeholders, and other key stakeholders within the criminal justice system.
- In conjunction with management direction manage relationships with therapeutic model experts and support CBOs with on-the-ground technical assistance and capacity building to ensure model fidelity, lead convenings and trainings.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Position requires a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred, in criminal justice, community engagement, or other related field preferable; five to seven years of related experience or equivalent of education and experience.
- Deep understanding of criminal justice system, stakeholders, agencies, and providers; context within New York City preferred.
- Experience with large-scale program design and implementation.
- Exceptional program and project management skills including building systems and procedures for diverse stakeholders.
- Exceptional relationship building skills and ability to work cross-functionally both internally and externally.
- Strong verbal and written communications with exceptional attention to detail.
- Recognition of importance of interdepartmental coordination and communication.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills and strong ability to build partnerships.
- Staff and consultant management experience is a plus.
- Ability to both work independently and be a team player.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and quickly “change gears” as needed.