UWBA is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. UWBA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and an inclusive workplace that values equity. We welcome applications from immigrants, BIPOC, LGBTQ applicants, and people with lived experience in poverty.
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Senior Director, Individual Giving
Reports to: VP, Development
Closing Date: Open until filled
United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history spanning over 90 years and programs tackling the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and reimagine its work at all levels in order provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
For more information about UWBA, please visit http://uwba.org
United Way Bay Area is seeking a Senior Director, Individual Giving to lead the major gifts and individual giving program. The Senior Director will work with our leadership team to raise United Way Bay Area’s resources, visibility, and relevance in our community.
In this role you will be part of a dynamic team focused on raising over $30 million over the next three years and 25% of that goal being focused on Individual Giving. United Way Bay Area currently partners with corporate, foundation, individual and governmental funders to address the community’s most pressing needs and drives sustainable results. It is our goal to increase our number of new donors and deepen the relationships we have with our current donors and constituents through many channels and in new ways. UWBA serves an eight-county region that includes the territory of Silicon Valley
The Senior Director, Individual Giving manages the individual giving, stewardship and major donors team and works collaboratively and creatively to lead staff and volunteers in planning, coordinating and executing donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities. These include, but are not limited to managing and implementation of events and fundraising collateral that support the individual giving program which includes the workplace campaigns that yield over 50,000 donors per year, and initiatives that target programs of highest priority for the United Way. The duties of this position require close collaboration with all of the teams within the development department and a close relationship with United Way of the Bay Area’s establish and maintain timetables and budgets; supervising staff and partnering with the Chief Advancement Officer on achieving development goals.
What you'll do:
- Direct the major giving strategies in tandem with the Board and Executive Leadership
- Manage a team of individual giving and stewardship staff
- Develop cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Partner with Marketing Department on development of collateral materials
- Direct and create major giving events including stewardship and cultivation activities
- Participate on cross functional teams and be a member of the development leadership team
- Develop in tandem with our IT team strategies for utilizing our CRMs, Salesforce, for managing donor research, event attendance, communications, etc.
- Consult with other United Way major markets on best practices in individual giving
Who you are:
- 6-10 years of philanthropic experience within a non-profit organization or relationship/sales management experience within the corporate sector including a demonstrated track record of success in the areas of staff management, project management, goal setting, and revenue generation
- Experience working with a portfolio of high capacity individuals and developing strategic solicitation strategies
Experience in producing large and small events
- Knowledge with design and execution of marketing materials
- Experience managing, recruiting and training professional development staff
- Advanced knowledge of fundraising strategies for multi-year gifts
- Computer skills commensurate with responsibilities (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, CRM systems)
Salary: $104,000.00 - 156,000.00 Salary Exempt
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.