United Way of Salt Lake (UWSL) is changing the way organizations, communities, schools, governments, and individuals work to fix complex social problems. Together, we can help every child and family succeed at school and life. UWSL’s workplace is fast-paced, friendly, adaptive, and grounded in our core values: relationships, continuous improvement, equity, and results. We offer competitive compensation including a comprehensive benefit package, generous paid time off, and flexible schedules. People with diverse backgrounds and abilities are encouraged to apply. Join us in working with our partners to re-design our current ways of working systems into ones that serve everyone.
The Senior Director, Impact & Improvement will lead a team responsible for accessing, organizing, analyzing, and reporting on data that serves three purposes: improving education, health and financial stability outcomes at a community level, raising resources, and supporting our operations. In this role, you will think expansively about ways to assess our impact that are rooted in equity, contribution, and connection. Working across departments and across partnerships, you will build people’s capability to interpret and use data. You will identify new and more equitable ways to measure progress. You will work with others to develop robust measurement frameworks. You will support a team of data and technology professionals to develop an organization-wide data strategy. You will spend significant time working with and learning from partnerships accountable for improving education, health and financial stability outcomes and for reducing racial disparities.
Partnership & Capacity Builder
- Work with partners and team members to assess the adequacy of our current approaches to measuring change at scale, and work to develop new measurement frameworks that unearth structural inequities within education, health, housing, transportation, financial, and other systems that impact the well-being of youth and families.
- Design and coordinate analyses to understand the impact of multi-partner collective impact initiatives and assess the contributions of each.
- Identify and act on opportunities to develop new data measures, to disaggregate data, and to shape public perception around data sharing.
- Work with partners to make data more accessible to our many stakeholders and to integrate qualitative data (including insights from community members most impacted by our current systems) into decision-making processes.
- Build capacity of partners and team members to access, analyze, and share qualitative and quantitative information that informs their theory of change.
- Engage with local partners, other communities, and local/national technical assistance providers and consultants to build a knowledge base of how data supports community-wide change.
- For assigned projects, identify and prepare data content, including charts, graphs and narratives for partners, our board, and public communications and presentations. Act as a thought partner with team members to do the same.
- Supervise a team of five data professionals. Provide consultation and thought partnership to your team and others on data gathering, organization, analysis, and use approaches. Champion the use of continuous improvement and results-based accountability tools and mindsets in our organization and our partnerships. Contribute to building an organization and partnership-wide culture of data use.
- Work with team to develop and implement a shared vision for data and technology usage at UWSL and in our partnerships. Lead team to coordinate activities and manage a pipeline. Work with team to develop and activate processes to collect, clean and use complete, timely, actionable data.
- Document internal learnings and processes so we can scale what works. Report out on team key performance indicators across the organization and develop solutions to make progress on them.
Data Systems & Technology
- Work with technology professionals to align UWSL’s technology infrastructure to its priorities, resources, and core frameworks/methodologies.
- Support technology professionals by designing technology-focused change management approaches, training resources, and documentation processes.
- Maintain familiarity with the technology systems, tools, and processes that enable our work.
- Understands facets of the position, aware of and ability to complete duties and responsibilities, keeps job knowledge current.
- Handles conflicts effectively.
- Makes thoughtful, independent, and timely decisions that align resources toward prioritized results.
- Fosters strong teams. Provides direction, delegates, celebrates successes, and removes obstacles to get work done.
- Has strong interpersonal skills, and experience building and nurturing relationships with people from different sectors, experiences, identifies and values. (External engagement is a key part of the role.)
- Has strong communication skills (in writing, in presentation/visualization, and in meeting facilitation).
- Makes sense of complex, high quantity, sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems and garner support from other stakeholders.
- 7+ years of work experience, preferably in field of research and data analysis, statistics, education, economics, public health, continuous improvement, or evaluation.
- Experience working with others to make sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to set and implement plans.
- At least three years managing people or project teams toward meaningful action.
- Experience creating and presenting audience-focused data analyses and visualizations.
- Experience developing and delivering data-related trainings for non-technical audiences.
- Experience working with education, workforce, health, or economic data.
- Experience developing new measures of progress.
- Experience using Tableau and/or Salesforce.
- Experience using continuous improvement methodologies.
- Experience using Structured Query Language (SQL) to query databases.
- Familiar with statistical software (e.g., R, SAS, Stata and/or SPSS).
- Experience implementing ETL processes.
The team member is regularly required to communicate clearly, and exchange accurate information interpersonally or through communication devices. Must be able to learn new systems and procedures, prepare and analyze data and figures, constantly operate a computer and other standard office machinery. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 65% of the time. The position requires occasional movement on- and offsite to attend meetings and presentations. Must be able to move light items such as paper, laptops and presentation materials up to 15lbs.
The position is full-time, exempt, and eligible for our full benefit package. Salary to commensurate with experience.