Reports To: Senior Vice President, Chief Development Officer
United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
Under the direction of the Chief Development Officer, the Senior Director of Foundation Giving oversees foundation and government fundraising in support of UWNYC’s community priorities of education (with a focus on early childhood literacy), income and health. The ideal candidate will manage the planning, organization and implementation of a robust major foundation (private and corporate) giving program. S/he will also play a role in fundraising from state and local government sources. The Director will report to the Senior Vice President, Resource Development and will be responsible for proposal development and reporting processes in close collaboration with Community Impact department leaders. The Senior Director will supervise the Senior Manager, Foundation Giving.
- Work with senior leaders, key volunteers and team members to implement strategies to increase major corporate and foundation philanthropy through grants and partnerships.
- Work closely with Leadership within Resource Development and Community Impact to provide critical resources to help identify funding opportunities, matching appropriate foundation funding sources to relevant programmatic areas
- Collaborate with the CEO/President and Community Impact Department leaders to produce required formative and summative reporting for all grants
- Identify and cultivate funding sources by creating proposals, reports, correspondence, giving presentations, etc.
- Establish a portfolio of top foundation prospects; write clear and compelling proposals for foundations to invest in collective impact initiatives and other programmatic activities and/or events
- Research prospects and meet with new donors; submit proposals to the foundation to secure new partnerships
- Project monthly and annual revenue goals; track progress; create and maintain timelines for cultivation/stewardship
- Supervise Sr. Associate, Foundation Giving
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Commitment to local communities
- Specific subject matter knowledge in education, community development, income and wealth building for low income communities and health related programming is highly desired. Knowledge of or experience in generating funding for collective impact strategies and programs is a plus.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 5+ years of successful foundation grant solicitation experience in the education and/or community services field.
- Must have a demonstrated track record of securing grants in the range of $250,000+ and possess a solid understanding of the nuances of effective foundation grant-seeking.
- The candidate selected will possess exceptional oral and written communication skills, be highly-organized and detail-oriented, with knowledge of online research resources (Foundation Center, Foundation Search, LexisNexis, 990's).
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals is essential.
- Ability to develop persuasive PowerPoint and other types of presentations
- Solid proficiency with MS Office: Excel, PowerPoint and database knowledge.
- Flexible, reliable, mature team player
- Able to multi-task and adapt to continually changing priorities and needs
- Capable of thinking out of the box, offering creative ideas and solutions
- Possess positive, “can do” attitude
Effective & Engaging Communicator
Strategic Relationship Building
Planning & Project Management
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title "Senior Director, Foundation Giving" in the subject line of the email. No phone calls or faxes accepted.
United Way of NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer