About United Way
We are the Uniters. We bring people together to solve problems. We identify the most pressing issues in our community and we bring together the people we think can solve them. United Way funds agencies that, working together, can address the nuances of complex problems like homelessness or the academic achievement gap. We create programs and initiatives to fill unmet needs. We deploy volunteers and socially responsible companies as the engines of change and the feet on the street, delivering hope to people in need. We raise funding through generous donors who understand that social change can't happen without it.
We offer excellent benefits including a BCBS PPO plan, dental, a 401k retirement savings with company match and an employer base contribution, a generous PTO policy which includes extended holiday time and summer hours. We also are offering staff a hybrid work schedule in a brand new office environment.
United Way is at an exciting juncture as we reimagine the role that we play in the community and rebuild our impact strategy around an equity-driven vision to advance economic justice across race and ethnicity. United Way seeks an experienced grants professional to help build this vision together. The Senior Director will partner with the VP, Strategic Partnerships & Foundation Relations and colleagues in our Community Impact Division to manage a growing portfolio of public and private grant funders. To be successful, the individual must be skilled at developing and cultivating local and national relationships to build a pipeline of grant opportunities, as well as internal relationships across all departments in the organization. The Senior Director will collaborate on the development and execution of a grant funding strategic plan and milestones; steward and cultivate existing and prospective funders; co-create proposal concepts with funders and United Way staff; and develop and review proposal content. The individual must possess or be able to develop broad content expertise in the areas of Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Hybrid work arrangement with great benefits and opportunities for advancement.
- Execute grant funding plan to sufficiently resource annual community impact targets.
Collaborate with VP Strategic Partnerships & Foundation Relations to develop and execute annual grant funding plan. Manage multiple proposals and projects, advance priority projects, and strengthen the proposal pipeline to increase foundation and public grant revenue. Be accountable for progress against goals for a portfolio of public and private entities, including family and corporate foundations. Build close partnerships with Community Impact and Grants Finance Team members to help implement the grants process.
- Proposal Creation
Provide guidance to Community Impact staff and other writers as to the focus for a particular grant opportunity. In cases where existing "boiler plate" does not exist (new program or new aspect of a program), proposal writing may be a shared responsibility between this role and other colleagues. Have or be prepared to develop broad content expertise in the areas of Financial Opportunity and Educational Success, as well as the ability to co-create new concepts for funding. Must have excellent writing skills and the ability to provide constructive editorial feedback on grant content created by other members of the team.
- Funder Stewardship
Steward existing donors to retain grant funding relationships and acquire new grant funding relationships in order to meet revenue goals. Be responsible for providing relationship management and stewardship for a portfolio of grant funders with a goal of maintaining and potentially growing these relationships. Have and be able to build a network of relationships in the funder community - locally and nationally that can lead to grant submission opportunities along with those that may take longer to cultivate. This will require frequent meetings, phone calls and email correspondence, and might include travel.
- Prospect Cultivation
Research prospects and actively review calls for proposals/RFPs to identify new opportunities to submit proposals. Along with other staff, identify and screen appropriate state, federal and private funding programs through which United Way may receive funds. Review "Requests for Proposals", newsletters and other periodicals and online sources for potential funding opportunities that align with our Community Impact goals. Stay informed of significant trends in government, foundation and corporate funding for human service agencies. Requires creativity and strategic thinking to identify possible opportunities and determine strategic fit between these funders and our work.
- Establish and maintain ongoing and current knowledge of United Way impact areas, goals, and organization-wide strategies.
Have solid understanding of United Way's Community Impact goals and programs, organization-wide strategies and the work of partner agencies. Keep informed of new developments in United Way's operations. Attend internal team meetings as appropriate, coordinate efforts with content experts in Community Impact, as well as relationship managers in Development. Build and maintain authentic, strong working relationships across the organization.
- Work collaboratively with the Grant Finance team and Community Impact program staff.
Maintain an excellent working relationship with the Grant Finance team and Community Impact program staff in order to build a strong pre- and post-award process. Facilitate or co-facilitate weekly grants team meetings with Community Impact and Grant Finance team members.
- Manage outside vendors related to Grant Development.
The organization may, from time to time, contract with select vendors to provide specific expertise regarding grants development such as securing federal or national grants. This position will manage these relationships to ensure targets are met.
- Maintain file management systems for pre- and post-award process using grants management database
Use United Way's Grants Management database, GrantNavigator and/or other similar Grants Management database system to ensure that all pre- and post-award tasks are organized and up-to-date. Ensure that grant proposals and reports are submitted on a timely basis and that internal procedures related to pre- and post-award grant management are followed.
- Minimum seven years direct experience in grants development for a health and human services agency OR other relevant job experience.
- Knowledge of the mechanics of grant proposal submission - federal and state proposal submission experience preferred.
- Superior ability to write clearly, professionally, and persuasively and to effectively and efficiently review proposals and reports.
- Ability to build and maintain authentic internal and external relationships.
- Ability to cultivate and form relationships with funders and prospects via face-to-face meetings, phone calls and written correspondence.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills; ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks is essential.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work professionally under pressure.
- Skilled at influencing others without direct authority.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments.
- Ability to quickly learn and retain United Way content knowledge. Knowledge of and passion for fields of school readiness, college and career readiness, housing & homelessness, and/or financial wellbeing preferred.
- Proficiency with relevant technology (Microsoft Office, GrantNavigator or similar grants management database, internet tools, etc.)
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and to the mission of the United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley.
- *A cover letter is required for this position. Please outline your experience working with and supporting diverse communities.
- Please provide a recent grant sample.
- Salary Range: $90,000 - $100,000
- All UWMB employees are required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.