About United Way of Greater Mercer County:
We connect people with resources propelling individuals and families to reach their fullest potential creating a thriving community. In order to achieve our mission, we invest in programs, community partnerships, and volunteer engagement in youth and family success, economic vitality and health and wellness.
Our vision is a vibrant and inclusive greater Mercer County whereby all can thrive.
Reporting to and in partnership with the President and CEO, the Senior Director of Development will spearhead development efforts as UWGMC continues to expand its corporate engagement program, develops an individual donor base, and grows its relationship with philanthropic foundations.
With the guidance of a new strategic plan, which informs UWGMC’s presence in and impact on the community, the Senior Director will have the opportunity to build a donor program that combines both the standard United Way Fundraising model of workplace giving, with best practices in non-profit fundraising. The Senior Director of Development will work closely with the CEO, board members, staff, and other stakeholders on all elements of fundraising. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and executing UWGMC’s strategic fundraising plan including meeting goals to expand and deepen corporate engagement to generate at least half of all contributed revenues
- Working in collaboration with the Vice President for Community Impact (Programming) to identify programs for foundation support, including in some cases, writing grant proposals. Stewarding foundation relationships to generate approximately 20% of contributed revenues
- Managing the annual workplace campaigns to generate approximately 20% of contributed revenues
- Building a base of individual donors and a major donors program including identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship to eventually generate approximately 10% of contributed revenues
- Supervising and mentoring 2 direct reports: Director of Strategic Engagement and Director of Volunteer Engagement
- Developing and overseeing a limited number of fundraising events to enhance the individual campaign(s)
- Staffing the Board Development Committee
- Tracking proposals and writing reports for foundation and corporate funders
- Representing UWGMC at networking events in order to identify and cultivate prospective donors – note, flexibility is required. Events can occur early mornings, evenings and weekends.
Education: BA (required), MA (a plus)
- 7-8 years of experience in development in a non-profit organization with robust institutional giving programs
- Experience in developing and stewarding grant proposals and sponsorship programs
- Experience with creating and building individual giving campaigns
- Familiarity with volunteer engagement. Direct volunteer management experience and converting volunteers to donors a plus
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Familiarity with donor databases
- Prior experience in a United Way or federated agency a plus
- Event management experience a plus