About United Way:
We are the Uniters. We bring people together to solve problems. We identify the most pressing issues in our community and we bring together the people we think can solve them. United Way funds agencies that, working together, can address the nuances of complex problems like homelessness or the academic achievement gap. We create programs and initiatives to fill unmet needs. We deploy volunteers and socially responsible companies as the engines of change and the feet on the street, delivering hope to people in need. We raise funding through generous donors who understand that social change can’t happen without it.
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley (UW) is looking for a candidate for our Senior Development Manager (SDM), Corporate Relations role. Specifics of the role are detailed below, but a candidate who will be successful in this position will include the following qualities:
- Fast learner
- Able to pivot with changes and curveballs
- Strong communicator (both with external partners and internal teammates)
- Willingness to jump right in
- Sense of humor and good, positive attitude
- Prior Development experience
The SDM will be responsible for oversight of ~$1.5-$2M in revenue across over 100 accounts/campaigns. These corporate partnerships (portfolio will range from campaigns with Agency partners to Major Corporate partners) will be entirely run by the SDM and it is expected the SDM will know key players at these companies; develop fundraising and engagement strategies for these companies, and manage campaign(s) as appropriate. Additionally, SDM is responsible for reporting challenges and revenue numbers to VP, Corporate Relations on a regular basis.
“Special Project” Lead:
UW has multiple events and projects that require Corporate Relations leadership including Venture Fund, Thanksgiving Project, Women’s Leadership Breakfast, etc. The SDM will receive 1-2 of these Projects to be the Corporate Relations voice and lead on. This will require project management and cross-departmental teamwork.
Campaign Cabinet Support:
The SDM will work with the VP, Corporate Relations in managing UW’s volunteer board, the Campaign Cabinet. Responsibilities here will range from organizing meeting agendas, have direct interaction with lead volunteers on the Cabinet, help the internal UW team and Cabinet Chair to keep Cabinet members engaged and productive.
New Business Generation:
As with all Development staff, the SDM should have a willingness and fearlessness to open new doors for United Way
Other Duties as Assigned:
Especially in uncertain times, this role may need to pivot and support different projects, people, and programs depending on how Covid-19 continues to affect our external work. It is expected that the SDM will jump in, learn, and execute tasks as they pop up.
- Past Development/Fundraising experience (minimum of 3 years)
- Excellent communication skills- written, in person, via webinar platforms, etc.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (especially Excel)
- Experience with fundraising databases preferred (United Way uses Andar and Salesforce Philanthropy Cloud)
- Strong presentation skills and comfort speaking to groups of all sizes and industries
- Strong customer skills in person and on the phone
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- High-energy individual who takes initiative has a positive outlook and has the ability to thrive in a changing environment
- Persistence and determination with corporate and individual outreach to meet goals
- Willingness to accommodate requests for support outside of regular business hours on occasion, with appropriate notice
- Sense of humor and the ability to have fun
- Commitment to excellence and the mission of United Way
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley,
Human Resources Manager,
51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210. Fax: 617- 624-9114
For information on additional opportunities, please access our Web Site at www.unitedwaymassbay.org
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.