Please Note: Thank you for your application and interest in United Way Worldwide. These uncertain times have disrupted our workflows and extended many application review timelines. Our promise to you, the candidate, is that we will contact you once there is an update on the position/s for which you applied. Thank you for your patience.
The Community Impact Data Engineer will focus on the enterprise architecture for systems and platforms supporting the Shared Services and Insights Strategy at United Way Worldwide (UWW). Responsibilities of this role will include systems integration, architecture redesign and leveraging the shared digital environment to support the ongoing transformation of the United Way network and our position in the philanthropic industry.
This is a highly technical role that requires an experienced, hands-on data engineer. This position requires an individual who has built and delivered cloud-based and modern data architecture solutions.
- Partner with Enterprise Architecture and Data Insights Leadership to enhance United Way shared enterprise platforms with Impact level data sources currently siloed across the network.
- Collaborate with UWW Community Impact SMEs (subject matter experts) and the Data Insights & Research Team to consolidate Community Impact related taxonomies, disparate data models and sources into a set of consolidated, relevant data standards across the United Way Network.
- Architect, design, and lead the technical development of features for a complex data analytics environment that conforms disparate data from multiple sources, and who can support multiple types of data ingestion processes such as batch, streaming, and real-time APIs.
- Architect, design, and lead the technical development of a data and analytics platform that can ingest various data types (structured, semi-structured, unstructured), and provide insight into the reliability of the unified data.
- Create a data ingestion framework to onboard Local United Ways and 211s that want to share their data. Build automated jobs to refresh data sources as updates are made across the network.
- Produce a recommended framework that aggregates (and anonymizes where appropriate) relevant data across select United Ways and communities to be integrated and leveraged in a shared environment for purposes of creating cross-community insights based on aligned Social Determinants of Health.
- Work with Technology Implementation and Community Impact SME teams to scope requirements for a Grants Management Capability as part of the Shared CRM environment.
- Partner with the 211 team to scope requirements for integration into the Shared CRM and/or Enterprise Architecture environment.
- Partner with the Innovations department to create new ways of integrating Impact Data and analytics across our ecosystem.
- Partner with the Data Insights & Research Team to define, build and optimize our core analytics and Community Impact data structures.
- Collaborate with United Way partners (United Way leaders, vendors and constituents) in the process of mapping and the migration of sources and inventory into UWW’s shared digital environment (Shared CRM, Enterprise Architecture, etc.).
- Document and store project plans, processes and work products.
- Have excellent client interaction, problem solving & communication skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred; prior-consulting experience preferred, or commensurate experience.
- 8+ years working in a data architecture and data engineering roles, with experience analyzing and managing diverse data types, and significant experience with ETL data pipelines.
- Proven experience with large-scale data integration efforts at organizations with a highly federated business model, and who can work collaboratively with IT functions in an agile manner.
- Experience with database management, relational databases and data structures, development of business-oriented data models, data mining and analysis, and advanced SQL skills. Able to work across applications to mine multiple databases, support complex data analysis, and support the creation of KPIs and reports.
- Ability to analyze data and resolve complex data issues and inaccuracies to improve data quality and trust in data across global organizations.
- Must be able to establish and develop strong relationships with departmental and organizational leaders, and champion a culture of teamwork, continuous learning and improvement while upholding our core values.
- Demonstrated accuracy with details and commitment to high standards of quality.
- Solutions-oriented leader with a high level of agility and ability to understand complex organizations and systems.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, complex, goal-oriented, team environment.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently with demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional team environment.
- Experience in Salesforce Sales Cloud is a plus.
- SQL, SQL, SQL!
- 2+ years of Spark
- Programming / Scripting (Python, Java, C/C++, Scala, Bash, Korn Shell)
- Linux / Windows (Command line)
- Big Data (Hadoop, Flume, HBase, Hive, Map-Reduce, Oozie, Sqoop)
- Cloud Platforms (AWS, Azure)
- Data Concepts (ETL, near-/real-time streaming, data structures, metadata and workflow management)
- Data Integration Tools (Talend, DataStage, Informatica, SSIS, Ab>Initio)
- Databases (DB2, HANA, Netezza, Oracle, Redshift, Teradata, Vertica)
- Markup Languages (JSON, XML, YAML)
- Code Management Tools (Git/GitHub, SVN, TFS)
- DevOps Tools (Chef, Docker, Puppet, Bamboo, Jenkins)
- Testing / Data Quality (TDD, unit, regression, automation)
About United Way Worldwide
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-683-7860 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.