United Way of the Mid-South is a multi-million-dollar non-profit, public charitable foundation that mobilizes financial and human resources across 8-counties to meet critical needs and to help ensure that hundreds of thousands of Mid-Southerners can achieve their highest potential. We support high-performing nonprofit agencies that are on the front lines fighting to decrease poverty in our community. By joining United Way of the Mid-South, you are uniting with a team that is moving the needle on poverty and making our community a place where everyone can thrive.
The position is a supervisory position and is a proactive leader who will work with our Community Impact team to fulfill the mission of United Way of the Mid-South. The Senior Associate, Financial Stability will work with the Free Tax Prep team to build the capacity of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to serve more taxpayers in need and focus on community outreach strategies to promote financial stability. In preparation for the tax season, the Free Tax Prep team at United Way of the Mid-South sets the tone with the highest levels of integrity, excellence, and intention to reach every single person who qualifies for our services. This position will support United Way’s Community Impact team members, funded partners and community partners to help ensure that resources are strategically deployed to meet community needs and to have the greatest impact on the reduction of poverty.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Free Tax Prep program: Coordination, logistics, and implementation of the seasonal tax preparation program.
- Community Impact Volunteer Management: Recruit, train and coordinate volunteers for United Way Free Tax Prep program. Provide leadership and support to seasonal staff, volunteers and related committees.
- Planning: Research program funding recommendations to support Financial Stability services. Review and revise current program operations for continued implementation improvements.
- Reporting: Provide information for grant applications, reporting, and outcomes. For funding that supports Financial Stability, align tasks and functions to meet grant compliance and goals.
- Community Engagement: Promote community-wide efforts to build financial stability by coordinating the development of partnerships through new and existing collaborations. Act as an advocate for issues relating to improving the financial stability of families. Represents the organization at events sponsored by United Way of the Mid-South, member agencies, and community organizations.
- Communications: Serves as a point of information and resource for fellow staff members, agencies, businesses, and the general public. Works with the Marketing/Communications staff to create materials for Financial Stability/Free Tax Prep to meet effective community outreach and awareness.
- Continuous Improvements/Results Orientation: Lead in developing and maintaining program work plan and timelines. Apply and implement improvements identified in program implementations.
- Finance & Budgeting: Works with Community Impact department staff to ensure departmental and program budgets are managed.
- Technology: Possess or attain proficiencies in internet-related programs, Google Suite, Microsoft Office and project management.
- Bachelor’s degree (or commensurate experience) in Business, Communication, Education, Social Work, Public Administration or another related field.
- Three years of experience working in the human services or related field.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving underserved and under-resourced individuals, families and/or communities; particularly people living in poverty.
- Quick learner, possessing superior judgment with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize assignments; and work well under pressure.
- Physical Requirements
This job requires the individual to be able to lift 25 pounds and be able to maneuver a mobile cart for supplies and materials. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time. The position may also require significant walking and capacity to climb stairs, and the ability to talk to and hear customers during events. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The job requires computer work and attention to detail. There may be additional physical requirements associated with off-site events.
United Way of the Mid-South is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way of the Mid-South will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Flexible hours are required as job duties demand. Must have a valid Driver’s License, car insurance, and reliable transportation. Must have a personal cell phone to communicate outside of the office.
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
United Way Core Competencies
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before the process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.