The Senior Director, Associate General Counsel (Senior Director) reports to the Senior Vice President & General Counsel (General Counsel) of United Way Worldwide and assists in handling the wide range of legal matters that arise through out the organization. This includes strategic planning on key initiatives to meet the organization’s goals and objectives in addition to contracts, trademarks and copyrights, licensing, compliance, membership, and structuring collaborations and other related entities. The Senior Director shall review, edit and approve contracts through the electronic platform, Conga, develop standardized forms, and conduct staff training. The Senior Director will also assist the General Counsel in the development of the Enterprise Risk Management plan. United Way Worldwide is a highly collaborative work environment which requires the ability to work as a team player with cross-functional staff teams and with a diverse set of external stakeholders. Excellent communication skills are required along with flexible, solution-oriented problem solving skills.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Assist the General Counsel in advising the organization on a wide array of legal matters including compliance, risk management, trademarks and copyright, and contract drafting and negotiation.
- With the General Counsel, identify and evaluate emerging legal issues using a strong problem-solving/solutions orientation.
- Lead the legal contract review process, developing standardized forms, analyzing provisions for risk retention, conduct negotiations and staff training sessions.
- Maintain trademark registrations on a worldwide basis and work with Marketing Group to register all new marks. Maintain member and partner licenses for secondary marks.
- Advises on legal aspects of structuring nonprofit collaborations and related business entities on a worldwide basis.
- Prepare and present effective written and oral reports.
- Develop and present staff training sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include:
- J.D. degree plus bar licensure (VA/DC)
- More than five years of relevant work experience either at a law firm or in-house
- Minimum three to five years of experience in a leadership role
- Experience in a charitable organization or with tax exempt organizations at a law firm is preferred
- Solid understanding of general nonprofit law, membership based organizations and governance structures , and tax regulations pertaining to exempt organizations and international grants.
- Working knowledge of contracts, nonprofit compliance, implementing risk management systems
- Experience in contract creation and negotiation, including software licensing arrangements
- Understanding of electronic contract management systems
- Familarity with data privacy and security laws
If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted.
- This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.