Communications and administrative professional on the United Way Worldwide Communications team. Fifty percent of this role is to provide administrative support to the Vice President, Communications and the Communications Team. The other 50% of the role is to provide administrative support for Network Communications.
This is an entry-level role with the opportunity for growth. To be successful, a Senior Associate, Communications candidate will have a demonstrated talent and interest in communications, be a talented writer, and possess the skills and ability to simultaneously perform all administrative tasks at a very high level.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Provide general administrative support to the Vice President, Communications
- Provide general support to the Director, Network Communications, with specific emphasis on preparing mass emails, supporting monthly #UnitedWayChat on Twitter, editing a daily newsletter and creating content for United Way’s intranet.
- Work with team members to help execute key initiatives in PR, digital, external, network and internal communications, such as the Annual Report, press releases, blogs, board reports, newsletters, etc.
- Maintain calendars, schedule meetings, make travel arrangements, and coordinate all travel logistics as needed
- Create, edit and proofread draft communications, presentations, and other materials as needed
- Become trained as webinar producer and oversee production of marketing communications webinars
- Handle meeting logistics, including room reservations, catering, scheduling, invitations, communications, etc. as needed
- Prepare, reconcile, and submit expense reports for the department and/or team
- Draft, submit for General Counsel review, and manage logistics of the contract and invoicing process for the department and/or team
- Create and maintain a central filing system for the department and/or team
- Track budget expenses and budget balances
- May deal with confidential issues and information using discretion and excellent judgment
- Assist with the front desk / switchboard coverage rotation
- Other duties as assigned
Requires a Bachelor’s degree
At least 1-2 years of experience preferred
Must be a strong writer, editor and proofreader
Must have proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (specifically PowerPoint and Excel); internet research skills
Must have basic knowledge of html
Must have ability to work well with all levels of internal managers/staff as well as outside clients and vendors.
Interest in PR, storytelling, content marketing, or other areas of communications and marketing preferred.
A candidate will excel as both a ”people person” with strong relationship management skills, and as a developing communications professional
Candidates will be required to provide communications credentials – samples of three best pieces of work
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.