United Way of the Mid-South is a multi-million-dollar non-profit, public charitable foundation that mobilizes financial and human resources, across eight counties, to meet critical needs and to help ensure that hundreds of thousands of Mid-Southerners can achieve their highest potential. We support high-performing nonprofit agencies that are on the front lines fighting to decrease poverty in our community by addressing the essential building blocks for success – education, financial stability, and health – while maintaining vital safety net services in food, shelter, and safety for individuals facing crisis situations. By joining United Way of the Mid-South, you are uniting with a team that is moving the needle on poverty and making our community a place where everyone can thrive.
United Way of the Mid-South (UWMS) is hiring a Driving the Dream (DTD) Sr. Associate, Agency Relationships to support the Manager of Agency Relationships, and assist in the development, engagement, recruitment, and support of DTD referral network agencies. The DTD Sr. Associate, Agency Relationships, will be responsible for establishing and maintaining robust partnerships with area workforce and economic stability providers, nonprofits, healthcare agencies, and education and training providers. The individual will promote DTD and UWMS as a resource and leader in connecting and convening people, information, and services.
We are looking for a dynamic self-starter capable of achieving concrete results, and working effectively internally and externally to build and maintain collaborative relationships. The ideal candidate is a flexible, well-organized, team player who has excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to deliver information appropriate to target audiences. Candidates should have strong computer and administrative skills, be comfortable interacting with all levels of internal and external customers and be able to successfully support the fast-paced work of senior-level colleagues.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Develop, cultivate, and maintain long-term strategic relationships
- Recruit and engage current and prospective partners to fill service gaps and increase access to providers for client services.
- Communicate effectively with prospective and existing partners.
- Lead in identifying and developing 2Gen focus area co-chairs and community representation to develop short, mid-range, and long-term strategic goals for the network.
- Participate in special projects as assigned, assuming responsibility for the end product.
Research and data
- Identify and build awareness of promising practices that improve outcomes and local disparities.
- Incorporate a continuous improvement process within networks to drive continued strategic results and increase efficiency.
- Practice Results Based Facilitation and Accountability methodology in network facilitation.
Test and scale innovative practices
- Work with and through Networks to understand and implement practices that can lead to systems change, scalable solutions, and proposed program and policy changes.
Build the capacity of leaders and practitioners
- Ensure those working most closely with DTD-eligible customers have the data, skills, partners, and resources necessary to provide high-quality services.
- Identify, develop and maintain key partnerships within the assigned/specified industry sector.
- Conduct internet topical literature research as needed to assist with meeting department goals and outcomes.
- Communicate across all levels of the organization with a great degree of respect and collegiality.
- Represent DTD/UWMS at events and meetings to elevate DTD’s profile among the community.
- Provide training and technical assistance to partner agencies, and respond to requests as needed.
- Assist with the development and support implementation of innovative processes and events to foster and strengthen relationships with agencies/partners.
- Assess individual and group dynamics, and successfully navigate conflict to create a productive work environment.
- Participate in professional development through appropriate conferences, workshops, seminars, or webinars.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Political Science, Public Health, Anthropology, Sociology, Business or Policy; relevant advanced degree (e.g. MBA, M.A., M.S. Ed) preferred.
- Minimum of three to five years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with a variety of audiences, including community advocates, service providers, members of the public, and local officials.
- Equity—able to have and hold discussions, and take action, regarding the role of poverty and in family social capital, healthcare, education, employment, and community conditions.
- Collective Action-ability to work with key stakeholders and leaders to make decisions and take action around a shared result.
- Competency as a trainer of adult learners—excellent presentation skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to facilitate groups of adult trainees.
- Analytical skills; high-level organization skills; interpersonal skills; ability to manage multiple projects and customers simultaneously; ability to meet deadlines; adaptive capacity, integrity and accountability; problem-solving.
This position requires the employee to be able to lift 25 pounds. The employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion, and to reach using arms and hands. The position may also require significant walking and the capability to climb stairs. The employee will need to have the ability to talk to and hear customers during events. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. There may be additional physical requirements associated with off-site corporate or volunteer events.
United Way of the Mid-South is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way of the Mid-South will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Flexible hours are required as job duties demand some local travel to meet with partners. Must have a valid Driver’s License, car insurance, and reliable transportation. Must have a personal cell phone to communicate outside of the office.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
United Way of the Mid-South will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. UWMS is committed to demonstrating diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace and community. We value the unique skills and contributions of each individual and believe in the power of collective leadership, accountability, and unity.
Community Impact (CI) Competencies
STRATEGIC COMMUNITY COLLABORATION
- Creates Strategic Partnerships: Knows the needs, interests, and values of the communities and community leaders; Uses knowledge and expertise about community needs and stakeholders to identify, recruit, engage, and convene strategic and diverse groups of stakeholders.
- Manages Conflict Effectively: Manages conflict and tensions between collaboration and competition; Engages constituents in a constructive way to resolve conflict; Identifies and advances win-win solutions to improve lives in communities.
- Is Culturally Astute: Values, is sensitive and appreciates the differences and similarities across communities; Advocates for and supports efforts to increase inclusiveness and diversity in community impact efforts, especially those involving vulnerable communities; Understands, communicates, and works effectively and respectfully across demographics, socioeconomic, language, and all other constituents that represent diverse cultures of communities.
DEEP COMMUNITY EXPERTISE
- Gathers Data: Understands, analyzes, and uses community and social data to create effective community solutions; Asks insightful and provocative questions regarding community needs, resources, and values.
- Interprets Data: Explains data for Resource Development and Communications, Marketing & Engagement professionals to turn into stories, reports, and powerful messages to engage donors. Anticipates risks and creates solutions and plans to effectively manage the issues.
- Thinks Critically: Develops criteria for making decisions that impact the community; Weighs the costs, benefits, risks, and changes for success when making decisions; Facilitates the groupthink process by breaking down complex problems and situations.
- Develops Solutions: Uses and translates data to create clear objectives and action plans; Uses analysis and critical thinking skills to solve problems; Understands agency and partner constraints and works around those constraints or uses the challenges they present as opportunities; Synthesizes information and interacts in a positive way to get to a solution.
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
- Develops Strategy: Collaborates with Resource Development and Communications, Marketing & Engagement to understand and jointly establish target goals and outcomes; Conducts research and develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Identifies United Way and other community partners’ roles in strategy implementation.
- Defines New and Innovative Products: Based on strategically relevant data, seeks to create products and services that are new and useful; Identifies potential community impact products; Chooses which strategies to frame as products based on their unique value to United Way and potential investors.
United Way Core Competencies for ALL Staff
< >Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before the process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, resume, and three references (with phone numbers) to the attention of firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your correspondence. For more information about United Way of the Mid-South, please visit us online at www.uwmidsouth.org.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.