Title: Senior Accountant
Organization Overview: United Way of Anchorage mobilizes the community to make lasting, measurable changes in community conditions that improve lives. We have adopted a unique approach to community problem-solving called collective impact which allows us to directly engage with communities. Our workplace is fast-paced, collaborative, and adaptive.
Position Overview: The primary responsibilities of the Senior Accountant position are to assist in ensuring the overall accuracy and completeness of United Way of Anchorage’s (UWA) financial records, including reviewing the accounts payable function and ensuring accounts payable is processed timely and accurately, preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual adjustment entries, and performing monthly, quarterly, and annual account reconciliations. This position will also assist in researching application of GAAP, including new pronouncements, supervising the payroll function, and reviewing backroom service delivery transactions for local United Way clients. Additionally, this position will assist in quarterly reporting to UWA department managers, preparing annual budgets, preparing for annual financial audits and tax returns. Specific job duties, skills and qualifications are listed below.
Essential Functions/Roles & Responsibilities of the Position:
- Review and approve accounts payable transactions
- Ensure accounts payable is processed timely and accurately
- Acting as backup for the accounts payable function as necessary
- Learning the key steps to payroll processing to act as backup for reviewing and approving payroll and/or processing payroll if necessary
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of accounting records by preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual adjusting entries and account reconciliations using the monthly workpapers workbook, and suggesting changes, additions, and deletions to the monthly workpapers workbook as appropriate.
- Identify errors or inconsistencies and suggest ways to improve efficiency
- Assist in research and application of GAAP, including researching new pronouncements
- Assist in ensuring good customer service to local UWA clients by reviewing and approving accounting entries for UWA’s backroom service clients
- Prepare and distribute quarterly fund reports to UWA department/project managers and assist in answering questions and resolving issues and/or making corrections
- Assist in the preparation of annual budgets and forecasts, including distributing quarterly budget to actual reports to UWA departments/project managers
- Assist in the preparation for financial audits, compliance audits, and tax returns, including coordination of completion of the prepared-by-client (PBC) list in advance of audit fieldwork
- Reconcile accounts and prepare reconciliations, workpapers, and lead schedules in advance of audit fieldwork
- Preparing schedules in support of compliance audits and preparation of annual tax returns (Form 990)
- Provide technical support and advice to CFO
- Assist in the development and maintenance of business processes and written accounting policies
- Assist with other activities and projects as appropriate
- Prepare monthly grant reporting of payroll data.
- Run Ad-Hoc payroll reports for grants.
- Award and post-award fiscal grant management working with program staff to ensure UWA is in operational and fiscal compliance with State, Federal, and Private grant reporting requirements.
- Accurate and timely preparation of invoices to grantors and tracking payments. Tracks payroll and benefits for grant-funded positions, monitor grant expenses and resources, and proactively consults with program directors on overspending, underspending, and opportunities to maximize grant funding utilization.
- Manage the grant disbursement process and reconciliation of Fund Balances to General Ledger. Manage subcontract billing and payment as appropriate.
- Support the Controller at a monthly grant meeting by preparing a summary workbook of each grant analyzing YTD spending, grant balance remaining, and areas of under/over utilization with suggestions based upon the grant contract.
- Maintain monthly grant spreadsheets to support the monthly grant billing process and prepare the monthly invoices. Prepare all required financial information necessary for yearly Single Audit.
- Work with United Way Southeast and process payroll, accounts payable, coordinate external audits, and prepare and present monthly financial statements.
Education, Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, or similar field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license preferred
- 3-6 years of general accounting experience
- Understanding of accounting concepts and GAAP
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work with little supervision and ability to meet deadlines
- Familiarity with a variety of computer applications including Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Verbal and written communication skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
Place of Work: 777 Juneau St, Anchorage, AK 99501
Hours of Work: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., M-F
To Apply: Please apply online or email your resume to Kayla Green, Director of People & Culture: kgreen
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.