United Way of Central Iowa is seeking a Senior Accountant to support and advance United Way’s mission of improving lives by applying principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports. This work includes compiling information, preparing financial statements, schedules, and utilizing appropriate accounting control procedures for the organization. This position helps ensure financial-related activities and accountabilities are in transparent and ethical alignment with the organization’s United to Thrive strategies of essential needs, early childhood success, education success, economic opportunity, and health & well-being.
The selected candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in accounting, and CPA designation is preferred. Experience will include five to ten years of accounting experience to included knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Knowledge of financial and accounting software applications; knowledge of federal and state financial regulations and tax laws; ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections. This position requires advanced MS excel skills including VLOOKUPS and pivot tables. The Senior Accountant is a member of the finance team and reports to the finance officer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply!
Why choose United Way of Central Iowa?
United Way of Central Iowa is an established and highly respected nonprofit in the Central Iowa area and the United Way Worldwide network. Employees at UWCI have a passion for the organization’s mission and community impact work and strive to create a positive, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. Our Core Values of Compassion, Integrity, Community Engagement, Responsiveness and Striving for Excellence is the foundation for how we do our work and to reach our aspiration to “Engage Community to Empower All.” In addition to a competitive salary and robust benefits package including health insurance, a dental and vision plan, 401(k) with match and paid life insurance, we offer the following:
- Generous paid vacation plan, holidays, a personal holiday and sick time
- Paid volunteer time off
- Convenient central Des Moines location with free parking
- On-site fitness center
- Tuition Assistance
- Commitment to employee professional development
- A commitment to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion practices
- Fun monthly opportunities for employees to build camaraderie
- Wellness initiative
- Accurate: Ability to produce error-free work and consistently meet quality objectives.
- Analytical skills: Ability to develop information and raw data into very meaningful conclusions.
- Detail Oriented: Ability to pay meticulous attention all aspects of a situation or task.
- Problem solving: Ability to recognize courses of action that can be taken to handle problems or potential problems and apply contingency plans to solve those problems.
- Autonomy: Self-directed in completing work and ability the complete assigned tasks with little or no oversight.
- Adaptability: Ability to adapt to change and workplace conditions.
- Customer Oriented: Ability to serve clients (both external and internal) from diverse backgrounds and perspectives by focusing effort on meeting their needs, concerns, and seeking to build trust.
- Relationship Building: Ability to establish and maintain a good rapport and relationships with customers and coworkers.
- Organized: Ability to be structured and methodical in working skills.
- Communication skills – Oral: Ability to send tactful and appropriate verbal messages and listen to others’ response in order to convey information.
- Communication skills – Written: Ability to write concise, clear letters, reports, articles or emails including proofing and editing.
- Time management: Ability to effectively use available time for the completion of necessary job tasks.
- Initiative: Ability to act and take steps to solve or settle an issue or problem within organizational guidelines and using good judgement.