United Way of Salt Lake (UWSL) is changing the way organizations, communities, schools, governments, and individuals work to fix complex social problems. Together, we can help every child and family succeed at school and life. UWSL’s workplace is fast-paced, friendly, adaptive, and grounded in our core values: relationships, continuous improvement, equity, and results. We offer competitive compensation including a comprehensive benefit package, generous paid time off, and flexible schedules. People with diverse backgrounds and abilities are encouraged to apply. Join us in changing the world and giving everyone in our community the opportunity to live their best life.
The Senior Accountant works under the direction of the Controller performing the essential functions, not limited to, ensuring accuracy and compliance of accounts receivable, accounts payable, pledge processing, and donation updates. Responsible for leading and supporting 3 members of the finance team, to achieve individual and departmental goals.
- Provide leadership to team members to enable achievement of priorities and goals.
- Manage team member performance and engagement. Provide timely coaching, feedback, and support as needed.
- Grant, Fee-for-service, and special designation accounting (budget, revenue, expense, and internal/external reporting).
- Sponsorship and Event donations and expenses reconciliation for internal reporting and year-end restricted revenue release.
- Outgoing grant and related expense accounting (coordinate coding/recording and reconciliation).
- Accounts payable, credit card liability, and partner payment liability accounts reconciliation.
- Organization insurance policies accounting (ensure proper accounting and policy renewal).
- Fixed asset, lease, and related expense accounting.
- Assist with month-end close processes and annual audit.
- Other duties as assigned
- Understands facets of the job, duties, and responsibilities. Keeps job knowledge current.
- Ability to handle conflict situations effectively with a minimum of noise
- Ability to make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Creates and maintains a cohesive team environment and structure. Provides direction, delegates, and removes obstacles to get work done.
- Skilled at developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Proven ability to gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Ability to look ahead to future possibilities and translating them into impactful strategies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or 4+ years of experience in a comparable role
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and ability to set applicable controls
- Grant or contract experience preferred, but not required
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite and video conferencing technologies
- Experience with Andar, Blackbaud/Financial Edge NXT, and Salesforce are a plus
- CPA and/or nonprofit experience preferred
The team member is regularly required to communicate clearly, and exchange accurate information interpersonally or through communication devices. Must be able to learn new systems and procedures, prepare and analyze data and figures, constantly operate a computer and other standard office machinery. The position requires occasional movement throughout the office to access files, papers, or move supplies weighing up to 25lbs. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
This is a full-time, exempt position with full benefits. Salary to commensurate with experience.