The primary responsibilities of the Senior Accountant include monthly and annual financial
statement preparation; budget preparation and comparison of actual operating results with the
budget; and preparation of schedules and reports to support the annual audit, various meetings,
and requirements of United Way Worldwide.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares monthly financial statements including the Statement of Financial Position,
Statement of Activities, Statement of Functional Expenses, Collections Reports, and other reports as needed.
- Assists with preparation of annual budget; also prepares monthly budget comparison reports and analyzes operating results and variances from budget.
- Prepares account analysis schedules and other input to support the annual audit of the financial statements.
- Assists with preparation of reports required by United Way of Worldwide including Database 2, Membership Requirements, and annual reports.
- Assists VP of Finance in preparation of exhibits for various required meetings including but not limited to finance committee meetings, audit committee meetings, executive committee
meetings, and board meetings.
- Assists in maintenance of the financial accounting software.
- Assists with closing the books as needed to include journal entry preparation, reconciliations, and other duties.
- Performs special analysis, special reports, and any other tasks assigned by the supervisor
- Performs payroll functions if the HR manager is unable.
- Supervise and backup the accounts payable clerk.
REQUIRED & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Undergraduate degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting.
- Experience in accounting, finance or related business activities.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles as it applies to not-for-profit organizations.
- Experience in budgeting, fiscal management, cash flow analysis/projection and development & analysis of complex financial reports.
- Ability to analyze and present data in a clear, concise manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and related applications.
- Familiarity with automated accounting systems.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and leadership skills; Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent follow-through and customer service skills.
- High level of personal initiative and ability to work with minimal oversight.
- Familiarity with MIP accounting software and StratusLive campaign management software.
- Experience in fiscal administration of grants.
- Experience in a similar position or in a United Way organization.