United Way of the Bluegrass – Development Department
Reports to Vice President of Development
The Development Manager is charged with growing and strengthening United Way relationships with a select group of organizations and employee market segments within those organizations. The position objectives are to maximize giving growth through a concerted effort to establish and grow meaningful relationships with company leadership, key influencers / stakeholders and priority donors in order to retain our current donor base and develop new business and new donor relationships. He / She will be responsible for creating and executing the short- and long-term account plans for each organization to realize substantial revenue growth. This outward facing role will require the candidate to be a leader who has the demonstrated ability to build strong, mutually beneficial relationships.
Manage key corporate accounts / individual relationships
Direct responsibility for building strong, mutually beneficial relationships with key corporate partners and individuals within your portfolio. Work effectively with the Development Team and other functions at United Way to be able to provide appropriate support and value to partners. Leverage relationships to create additional opportunities with other organizations and individuals. The Development Manager will be accountable to complete face-to-face meetings weekly with customers and prospects throughout their assigned accounts in order to expand United Way influence within each organization. Maintain accurate and detailed donor and account records in Andar and other systems in order to analyze the effectiveness of the plan against delivering objectives.
Develop annual account plans to realize significant growth and engagement in each account
In conjunction with the Vice President of Development and the Development Team, create annual account plans and action steps needed to engage accounts on a year round basis and to secure additional financial support for United Way. By working with staff and volunteers, drive the execution of their plan and manage the action steps and results from these efforts. The Development Manager will track revenue generation, retention, visits and key business activity throughout the year, provide regular activity status, update projections to target and conduct the appropriate account analysis to build and refine business goals.
Execute successful workplace fundraising and engagement campaigns
Through the managing of key corporate accounts and individual relationships, increase revenue through a workplace giving campaign. Executing each account plan in portfolio to see successful gains in revenue through corporate gifts, individual investments, corporate sponsorships and underwriting, and other engagements.
Manage and inspire volunteers and volunteer campaign groups
Develop a deeper connection within the community around traditional fundraising activities such as workforce campaign and individual leadership giving. Create an ECC Community to inspire a group of Campaign Coordinators to greater generosity of time, influence and money. Connect ECCs to the valuable role they play in creating Community Impact through successful workforce campaigns, year round communication, increased volunteerism and advocacy.
Promote United Way programs and events
Promote United Way programs and offerings to accounts to build their support of United Way’s work and to provide ways for their employees to benefit from the partnership. Represent United Way at community events throughout the region. Attend and provide support for United Way events to build brand awareness and engage constituents.
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university
- 5+ years or equivalent years of consultative sales or fundraising experience in either for profit or non-profit entities
- Focused sales/marketing/development experience with an applied emphasis on customer or donor relationship building; significant applied consulting sales skills; demonstrated success with effective listening skills;
- Effective oral and written communications skills with an ability to relate with a diverse group of individuals or organizations in an effective manner;
- Ability to think strategically with proven, strong ability to execute on plan;
- Ability to take initiative and be creative in thinking and solutions;
- Strong project management skills with timely and consistent attention to follow up;
- Effective problem solver and decision maker;
- Proficient computer skills (familiarity with customer relationship management systems or donor relations management systems preferred, electronic giving and information exchange preferred);
- High-energy individual who takes initiative with a positive outlook who can manage ambiguity and change;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a portfolio of assigned accounts;
- Manage expectations of internal team members effectively and a strong desire and aptitude to be part of a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability to persuade others and to close sales opportunities;
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way.
Salary and Benefits
Salary for this position is $38,000 - $45,000 depending on experience, knowledge and skill. United Way of Bluegrass provides an array of benefits including health insurance, paid time off and a 401k retirement plan among others.
Valid Kentucky driver’s license required as well as access to reliable insured automobile to be used for work-related travel in the Central Kentucky area. Must be willing to occasionally work non-standard work schedule, including nights, weekends and other unusual hours.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “DM” in the subject line or mail to United Way of the Bluegrass, Attn: Human Resources, 100 Midland Avenue, Suite 300, Lexington, KY 40508. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Note: The description given is intended only to provide information about the general nature of the job and is not an all-inclusive list of the job duties, skills or abilities which may change.