PURPOSE: Contribute to the attainment of United Way of York County’s mission and vision through successful leadership of UWYC’s volunteer driven fund-raising program to generate financial resources to achieve organization’s goals and mission. Provide oversight of the day-to-day management, expansion, and overall coordination of the entire range of fundraising activities.
- Build awareness, recognition and visibility of UWYC as a leader in efforts to achieve significant improvements in Education, Financial Stability, and Health indicators in York County.
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategic planning, community impact programs, fundraising campaigns and special events as needed.
- Works in partnership with President, staff, campaign strategy team and board to ensure that the funding needs of UWYC are met and sustained to increase the impact and influence of UWYC in York County.
- Lead cultivation, recruitment, training and coordination of resource development volunteers.
- New Business Development via strategic business recruitment plans.
- Obtain and keep current professional certifications as necessary to perform the job
- Participate in on-line training, webinars, and when possible, attend seminars to keep abreast of industry and system best practices and enhancements
- Document policies and procedures and cross train others to ensure backup for functions
Responsibilities and Duties:
Resource Development: Develop and manage the general campaign plan and timetable, utilizing a fund-raising process that assesses potential, sets goals, and helps identify volunteer leadership for future years.
- Maintain current knowledge of community political, social and economic factors that may affect campaign projections and grant acquisition.
- Build strong relationships with Campaign/PLS Chair, CEOs, funders and business community representatives.
- Provide direction and motivation to Campaign Cabinet for the purpose of soliciting new company campaigns and corporate gifts. Develop educational tools and resources for the Campaign Cabinet to be conveyed at a training session in conjunction with Campaign Cabinet Chair. Facilitate monthly cabinet meetings including monitoring and reporting out on progress in order to adjust strategies for each division in order to maximize successful outreach and fundraising.
- Organize the campaign structure and volunteers as needed to respond to changes in the workplace in employment and campaign potential.
- Design and implement recruitment and training programs for volunteers (Campaign strategy team and Employee Campaign Coordinators) including development of job descriptions, managing and evaluating performance.
- Work with Campaign Chair and Campaign Strategy Team to develop strategies to attract new donors, enhance support from current donors, and develop and expand affinity groups.
- Develop and implement plan of action to solicit sponsorship dollars leveraging corporate marketing dollars with United Way co-brand opportunities.
- Develop a written strategy for all campaign divisions, including affinity groups, professionals, healthcare and other United Way organizations including UWW’s GCL companies.
- Identify CEO cultivation calls and coordinate outreach with President of UWYC.
- Work with staff members responsible for financial reports and data entry to ensure account data is accurate and information is collected, recorded and distributed accurately and timely.
- Work with marketing functions to ensure United Way brand strategy is integrated into campaign plan and execution. Assist with development, ordering, and distribution of campaign materials, including an organizational video prior to campaign kickoff.
- Maintain productive functions that are producing high level results as well as implement new fund raising techniques in response to a changing environment.
- Develop and remain accountable for department budget.
- Ensure correspondence and research regarding resource development between United Way Worldwide is completed in a timely manner.
- Analyze campaign results and conduct annual campaign evaluation meeting with key volunteers and UWYC President.
- Develop relationships with funders to obtain grants for United Way and community based programs to sustain and/or expand programs related to Education, Financial Stability, and Health.
- Work outside normal office hours when required to include early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Organize and plan annual donor recognition event.
- Organize and participate in community events and health fairs.
Community Investment Process:
- Assist with implementation of community impact and investment agenda via support of UWYC Board of Directors, Allocation Investment teams and community based partners including representatives from local agencies, organizations, funders and local government.
- Communicate success stories and outcomes with donors, funders and community partners to increase awareness and engagement.
Policy and Planning:
- Collaborate with President, staff and board to develop and implement a long range Resource Development plan that complements the organizational goals and funding requirements as it supports the Community Impact Agenda.
- Review current policies and recommend practices and procedures to support organizational growth.
- Increase community awareness on various impact priority issues as appropriate to goals.
Other duties as assigned to achieve the mission of the UWYC
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way of York County.
- Excels in providing customer service; provides courteous and timely responses to inquiries regarding volunteer and partner agency matters.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse groups with a focus on customer service excellence.
- Ability to appropriately present information and data in written, electronic, and oral forms to diverse target markets.
- Manages quickly changing priorities and resulting work flow; demonstrate ability to manage and prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Maintains confidentiality of all customers/stakeholders at all times.
- Ability to work well as a “team player”, yet able to work independently when necessary.
- Internally motivated to recognize and act on opportunities to further the mission of UWYC.
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in communications, social sciences or business.
- Minimum of three years’ experience with nonprofit organization with fundraising experience preferred.
- Understanding of fundraising - basic selling skills (consultative selling approach preferred), workplace (annual) campaigns, leadership and major gifts, special events, sponsorships and other significant approaches to generating revenue.
- Must possess strong communication skills, (written and oral), including public speaking experience.
- Ability to use software (MS office suite Excel/ Word and donor database) and other technology to manage data and compose reports.
- Aptitude and attitude to maximize use of volunteers.
- Motivate, train and coordinate efforts of volunteers and staff to achieve goals.
- Ability to interpret computer-generated reports and analyze data.
- General attributes should include: ability to manage several projects simultaneously, work effectively with people from different backgrounds - respect diversity, participate effectively on teams, work with modest supervision and possess a positive “can-do” attitude.