Purpose of Position
The Resource Development Director, reporting directly to the President & CEO, is a results-driven, donor-focused leader and fundraiser with an understanding of the local community, the business environment and the United Way network. In partnership with the President & CEO, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities, including achieving and growing the Annual Community campaign through workplace campaigns, corporate giving, foundation grants, solicitation of major gifts, planned giving, special events, individual solicitation and other means. S/he has a relentless focus on gaining unrestricted resources to support United Way Blackhawk Region’s mission and strategic objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Resource Development
• Motivate and guide the organization’s commitment to development at all levels
• Maintain industry-leading knowledge of fundraising processes and best practices
• Create the “ideal philanthropic experience” and positive image – be enthusiastic, positive, charismatic, and generate trust of donors and stakeholders in United Way
• Serve as the year-round point of contact and strategic consultant for community engagement, corporate accounts and donor relationships
• Assess donors’ needs and interests to package our work into products that effectively meet those needs and drive United Way resources
• Design, present and execute specific action plans to ensure cultivation of relationships and drive revenue growth, organize and add workplace campaigns, improve participation rates and increase leadership giving
• Responsible and accountable for problem solving and decision making with campaign accounts to reach target results
• Collaborate closely with United Way Team to develop and implement a comprehensive and dynamic marketing strategy to broaden public awareness, donor affinity and message effectiveness as it pertains to the campaign
• Utilize donor software, work with finance staff to evaluate and refine information capture systems, procedures for reporting, ensure accuracy of pledges, donor acknowledgements, tracking and data mining
• Direct and monitor efforts to retain and recognize donors, campaigns and corporate partners
• Develop vision for engagement in UWBR activities to promote stewardship, guide growth and evaluation of giving
• Identify potential donors and corporate partners to strategically cultivate relationships
• Gather, interpret and use relevant data to drive strategy development, make decisions and manage complex issues to achieve desired results
• Collaborate with the CEO and Board leadership to deliver on organizational strategies to increase the presence and impact of United Way, coordinate messaging and initiatives to grow overall resources
• Drive efforts to recruit, engage, lead, train, manage and motivate a diverse team of campaign volunteers, referred to as the Campaign Cabinet
• Cultivate community support by participating in community or civic activities / organizations to increase networking and public awareness of United Way Blackhawk Region
• Maintain a current understanding of and be able to articulate to stakeholders / donors and the community at large, United Way Blackhawk Region’s community impact model, focus area activities, and results
• Engage people not only in Giving to United Way but also in Advocacy and Volunteering to support the United Way mission
• Deliver the United Way Blackhawk Region brand experience and promise
• Conduct operations effectively and efficiently and promote a cooperative spirit within the United Way Blackhawk Region organization
• Flexible in work hours as campaign activities may occur outside normal working hours
• Additional duties as assigned by the President & CEO
• Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in related experience
• A minimum of five years progressively responsible experience in United Way fundraising or related field; knowledge of account management, customer service, community relations and/or sales and marketing, project and volunteer management
• Skilled communicator, both written and interpersonal; active listener, effective and engaging public speaker and persuasive presenter
• Critical thinker, demonstrated leader, strong problem-solving skills and consummate professional
• Valid driver’s license required, as well as access to reliable insured automobile to be used for work-related travel throughout the Blackhawk Region
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
• Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time. Intermittent physical activity including bending, reaching and prolonged periods of sitting.
• Ability to lift light objects, usually no more than 8 lbs. in weight.
• Ability to utilize close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to move about and communicate effectively with a diverse membership and employee group.
• Ability to accomplish the described responsibilities through the use of computers and technology.
• Ability to work in a changing, challenging and fast paced environment with varying stress levels.
• Ability to travel to other locations within the geographical area. Occasional business travel elsewhere may be required.
United Way defines equity as the intentional inclusion of everyone in society. Equity is achieved when systemic, institutional, and historical barriers based on race, gender, sexual orientation, and other identities are dismantled and no longer predict socioeconomic, education, and health outcomes.
United Way Blackhawk Region is an equal opportunity employer, we value and celebrate diversity. All applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran-status, familial, marital, or socio-economic status. To view our Diversity, Inclusivity and Equity webpage, click here.
As a champion for building strong and healthy communities, we promote an inclusive environment where everyone respects and values the contributions of all people and believe all people should have an opportunity to make an impact in society.