Purpose of the Position:
The primary purpose of the position is to develop, oversee, and implement the United Way of Decatur & Mid-Illinois’ (UWDMI) strategic resource development plan to raise significant dollars to support the organization’s mission. Candidate must be a strong strategist, as well as a proven fundraiser.
Job Description: Reporting to the President, the Resource Development Associate is responsible for the planning and implementation of all external fund-raising activities for the United Way of Decatur & Mid Illinois.
The Resource Development Associate is accountable for creating, developing, and executing a multi-year, year-round strategic resource development plan to increase critical financial resources for UWDMI.
The Resource Development Associate is responsible for activities such as the following:
- Achieving UWDMI annual fundraising goals.
- Cultivating new relationships that lead to new campaigns.
- Relationship Management – maintain and strengthen relationships with key contacts.
- Analyzing data in order to systematically develop key strategies to increase corporate, employee, and individual giving.
- Developing specific strategies to achieve maximum potential in high, medium, low, and non-participating accounts.
- Maintaining knowledge of current and evolving resource development trends, as well as economic, political, technical, and general business trends that may impact UWDMI results, to aid in overall organizational efforts.
- Developing alternate channels of resource development.
- Developing new strategies to increase residential and small workplace giving.
The Resource Development Associate must be able to create, manage, and implement a fundraising strategy, incorporating an understanding of donor cultivation and stewardship for diverse investors.
The ideal candidate will have the following Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The ability to development efforts for an organization that generates $1.6 million or more in fundraising revenue annually. Candidates must show progressive thinking, with understanding of philanthropic trends and best practices in donor-centered fundraising.
- Demonstrated success in leading and developing major fundraising initiatives with quantifiable results that meet or exceed objectives, including the ability to incorporate sales concepts.
- Excellent relationship cultivation skills and the ability to engage and influence employees, board members, key volunteers, donors, and other stakeholders. Ability to relate with a diverse group of individual or organizations.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to make decisions.
- Ability to generate excitement and energy around the organization’s mission and activities, encouraging others to provide financial support.
- A comprehension and appreciation of metrics and performance indicators used to measure progress in Resource Development. An expertise in evaluating and realigning structure and process systems support. Ability to analyze and interpret internal and external data.
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience.
- At least three years of fundraising experience, other fundraising or resource development experience, or direct sales and marketing experience.
- Outstanding writing and interpersonal skills.
- Experienced in public speaking.
- Sets and achieves aggressive goals
- Makes campaign presentations to executives, employees, and other groups.
- Delivers effective and convincing messages.(Prepares a case for ideas based on audience interests, supporting facts, data and own perspective – an effective story teller).
- Organizes and monitors the solicitation of all donors in the campaign.
- Serves as liaison between UW and organizations / companies as relationship manger.
- Researches and identifies potential donors, contributing organizations and companies.
- communications and solicitation strategy.
- Writes effective solicitation and acknowledgement letters.
- Assists the Marketing Director in the development of an effective campaign communications and solicitation strategy.
- Maintains an updated and accurate donor database.
- As needed by President including, but not limited to serving as UW Representative on various committees, attending community events, assisting with Fund Distribution, etc.
- Networking within the community
- Frequent daily travel to various community partners, training sessions or other locations. Valid Drivers License and transportation is required.
- Other activities and duties as requested.