United Way of the National Capital Area works to create the opportunity for all members of our community to have a better life. We focus on the building blocks of a good life — a quality education, financial stability for individuals and families, and good health. We bring together the voices, the expertise, and the resources to define, articulate and implement a common agenda for change for our region. That is what it means to "Live United" in the National Capital Area.
Human Resources Recruiter/Generalist leads and manages United Way NCA talent acquisition that encompasses the activities involved in building and maintaining United Way NCA workforce that meets the needs of the organization. The Recruiter/Generalist may also assist in managing day-to-day operations of the human resources functions while providing support to the organization in all areas of human resources.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consults with hiring managers to understand the job requirements, duties, and qualifications desired for the specified vacant position(s) and staffing levels.
- Collects and analyzes data to maintain current understanding of fair and competitive market salaries, candidate availability, and demand for candidates in particular fields.
- Develop strategies for sourcing and acquiring talent that meets United Way NCA needs.
- Design and oversees effective sourcing, recruiting, evaluating qualified candidates.
- Utilize variety of methods that includes branding, social media, job boards to recruit and attract talent.
- Uses technology to support effective and efficient approaches to sourcing and recruiting applicants.
- Checks candidates’ references and credentials, verifying experience and backgrounds.
- Counsel candidates on the interview and hiring process.
- Follows up with hiring managers after the interview process to determine whether a placement can be made; collects feedback when placement is unsuccessful.
- Design and facilitate new-hire onboarding and assimilation process.
- Conducts new-employee on-boarding/ orientations and exit interviews.
- Maintains and ensures compliance with applicable equal employment opportunity (EEO), Uniform Employment Guidelines and related employment laws and regulations.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives, and systems.
- Prepare and submit appropriate documents for payroll processing.
- Manage human resources online recruiting portal and data gathering.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings, attends other meetings and appropriate seminars.
- Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A bachelor's degree required; master’s degree preferred
- Minimum five (5) years in relevant human resources related experience
- SHRM’s Talent Acquisition Specialty Credential a plus.
- Solid foundation and knowledge of HR principles and HR best practices including talent development, talent acquisition, employee relations, compliance, payroll etc.
- Experience with an HRIS system experience with ADP Workforce Now is a plus.
- Excellent customer services skills in dealing with internal and external customers at all levels.
- Excellent teamwork, problem solving, analytical and project management skills required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements:
Knowledge of HR related laws FMLA, ADA, HIPAA, EEO, etc.
Must possess computer skills and utilize Microsoft Office applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
Utilized HRIS such as ADP Workforce Now or other similar information and payroll systems.
Understanding of basic human resources terminology Excellent organizational skills.
Ability to multi-task, prioritize, meet deadlines and work with interactive teams
Ability to work independently
Ability to handle complex, sensitive, and confidential information
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Mission focused – the ability to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities.
- Relationship oriented –an understanding that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator – understands the role and contribution of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources through meaningful engagement.
- Results driven – dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good, creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations.
- Brand steward – a steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
- Ethical Standards – Maintains confidentiality, acts with professional, personal, and behavioral integrity.
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Interpersonal Skills—the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas, and exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills, and conducts meetings.
- Written Communication—the individual edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Quality control—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability—the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction, and solicits feedback to improve performance.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume directly to Human Resources at https://unitedwaynca.org/about-us/careers/
Successful candidates must pass criminal background and reference checks.
United Way of the National Capital Area
1577 Spring Hill Road, Suite 420, Vienna, VA 22182