United Way of Broward County fights for the health, education and financial prosperity of every person in our community.
General Description: This position provides heavy administrative assistance and supports the goals of United Way of Broward County, under the direction of the Director, Veteran Services for Community Impact.
Primary Job Responsibilities & Duties:
- Greets and directs all clients, volunteers and other visitors with courtesy.
- Answers all incoming calls courteously, accurately takes and distributes messages/forward calls to the appropriate individual(s).
- Responds and refers crisis calls calmly and quickly.
- Receives the mail, Fed Ex, UPS, etc. packages and ensures all mail related items get distributed to the correct people in a timely manner.
- Assures visitors sign in and out, maintaining the daily sign in log. Calls staff when visitors arrive to assure unauthorized individuals does not access offices.
- Maintains confidentiality of all materials, and uses judgment and tact in dealing with internal and external inquiries.
- Operates a variety of equipment including personal computers, copy/fax machines, and related equipment.
- Maintains office and kitchen supply inventory and orders.
- Assist with other administrative duties as assigned.
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
Supervises: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Combination of education and experience normally represented by a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- At least two years of administrative/receptionist experience in a professional office environment preferred.
- Knowledge of word processing equipment and computers with proficiency required in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point, and other related computer programs as needed.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to multitask a must.
- Typing skills, with a high degree of accuracy excellent spelling, punctuation and grammar skills; ability to proofread accurately.
- Excellent telephone presence and good organizational skills required.
- Initiative, analytical ability, high interpersonal relations and the ability to effectively communicate.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Skills/Abilities/Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Gathers appropriate and relevant information towards positive resolution.
- Oral Communication – Ability to communicate effectively with peers, consumers, management and executive leadership. Excellent interpersonal and team building skills. Can speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Reliable – Can be counted on to be punctual with an acceptable attendance record.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meets and exceeds qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives and timelines, and seeks help when needed in juggling priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication to be effective in any team setting.
Environment & Physical Demands: The environment is climate controlled (i.e., heated and air-conditioned). Lighting is adequate through overhead lighting as well as windows and blinds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting approximately 25 pounds, regular use of the telephone, copier, fax and computer, and occasionally driving the United Way vehicle. Demands also involve protracted concentration.