Vision and Mission:
At United Way of Northeast Florida, we envision a community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach their full potential. Our mission is to solve our community’s toughest challenges by connecting people, resources and ideas.
Purpose of Position:
The mission of RealSense, an initiative of United Way of Northeast Florida, is to provide resources to improve the prosperity of our community's most vulnerable and economically challenged citizens. The initiative support’s United Way’s goal to ensure “families are economically stable and self-sufficient.” Through free tax preparation services, RealSense seeks to stabilize low- to moderate-income working families in Northeast Florida by providing them the tools, knowledge, skills and resources needed to succeed. RealSense is a key community resource focused on ensuring that eligible individuals and families apply and qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
The function of this position is to support the volunteer activities of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program within the Community Impact and Strategic Investments department, and to provide a connection to the Volunteer and Community Engagement department. Specifically this position will:
- Ensure the VITA tax program has the volunteer support and engagement required to meet program needs for the tax season
- Provide leadership to plan, implement and evaluate strategies for volunteer recruitment, training, and retention within the VITA tax program
- Develop a year-round stewardship plan to align VITA program volunteers with United Way and community volunteer opportunities
- Serve as the liaison for RealSense and Volunteer and Community Engagement teams
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Lead the recruitment, placement and retention of VITA program volunteers to ensure all tax sites have adequate volunteer coverage
- Respond promptly to IRS volunteer requests and provide status updates to IRS
- Assist in the development of the schedule for all VITA volunteer training classes (classes generally conducted in December and January). Conduct training sessions as necessary and determined by the Tax Program Manager
- Ensure all VITA program volunteers are IRS-certified to the appropriate level and aware of IRS Quality Site Requirements
- Have an in-depth knowledge of the VITA program and its requirements, including IRS reporting timelines and guidelines
- Understand IRS certification/record-keeping requirements and procedures
- Maintain VITA program volunteer IRS-certification documentation
- Ensure volunteer reporting and communication deadlines to IRS are met
- Ensure Site Coordinators have appropriate IRS-required documentation on all site volunteers
- Maintain accurate and current records on all VITA volunteers, using Get Connected, including tracking of hours worked and monthly activity reports
- Manage communications with volunteers and Site Coordinators throughout the recruitment, training and placement processes
- Coordinate the end-of-season distribution of certificates, thank-you letters, swag, etc. to all RealSense volunteers, within a designated time frame
- Coordinate IRS awards to long-term volunteers (10 year, 20 year, etc.)
- Ensure CPE credit paperwork is provided to the IRS for those volunteers requesting it
- Collect client and volunteer success stories used to highlight program activities
- Assist the Tax Program Manager in planning and executing tax site-related events (such as Tax Blitz Day and May Days)
- Assist with signature volunteer events, including planning for VITA volunteer recognition such as an awards event, and ensuring all volunteers are invited
- Establish year-round engagement opportunities for VITA volunteers
- Establish a schedule of coordinated messaging and touch-points to support VITA volunteer stewardship in partnership with the United Way Marketing department
- Provide insight and connect volunteer opportunities to business partners with corporate social responsibility goals that support financial stability, in partnership with the United Way Resource Development department
- Must be proficient in the Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel PowerPoint)
- Must possess good work ethic; come to work when scheduled and on time
- Must possess good telephone etiquette; professional appearance
- Must agree to be flexible with hours - occasional evenings or Saturdays (mostly during training and tax season)
- High school diploma required. Two-year college degree preferred.
- 2-4 years progressively responsible, related experience
- Excellent planning, organizing, verbal/written and PC skills
- Experience in the area of volunteer development and training
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience in planning, policy design, and spreadsheet analysis
- Familiarity with VITA tax site processes and software
- Strong detail orientation
Professional Core Competencies Required:
- Mission Focused: Creates real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship Oriented: Places people before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator (Includes teamwork and communication): Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial & human) through meaningful engagement. Strong supporter of a team environment.
- Results Driven: Dedicates efforts to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Understands role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
General Physical Requirements for Essential Functions of the Job:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and/or hear. Continual use of the hands with wrist and finger movement using a keyboard is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include long hours viewing a computer monitor screen. The employee may occasionally travel using personal vehicle and/or work outside normal office environment.
This description is not designed to contain a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of all team members assigned to this position. It is intended only to describe the key elements relative to each section. Also, duties and/or requirements of this position may be modified, added or deleted at any time. This supersedes all descriptions previously written for the same position. Unique equivalent skills and experience may possibly substitute for required position requirements.
United Way of Northeast Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Environment.