HEART OF FLORIDA UNITED WAY
TITLE: Public Relations Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Chief Marketing Officer
DEPARTMENT: Marketing and Communications
- Passion – Create enthusiasm and inspire others.
- Authenticity – Be Courageous and make it happen.
- Collaboration – Work together and mobilize for change.
- Empowerment – Keep it honest and set the example.
Works under the direct supervision of the Chief Marketing Officer to develop and implement all public relations initiatives. This position is responsible for the concept, creation and implementation of media relations such as proactive story pitching, coordinating interviews, writing press releases, drafting bylined articles, maintaining PR reports, coordinating opportunities among internal and external partners, and more.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES:
- Assists CMO in developing media relations strategy, seeking positive, highly visible placements in local print, broadcast, radio and online media.
- Coordinate all public relations activities ranging from interviews to press conferences, events, and social platforms.
- Work with Marketing/Communications team to connect tactics engaging audiences across traditional media.
- Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within business and industry media.
- Manage media inquiries and interview requests in a timely fashion.
- Create content for press releases, byline articles and statement
- Distribute press releases, media alerts and statements to media list.
- Monitor, analyze, and communicate PR results on regular basis.
- Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy surrounding them.
- Participate in brainstorming and planning sessions.
- Conduct research to support PR planning.
- Assist in tracking media coverage or PR metrics.
- Proactively pitch HFUW subject matter experts to comment on timely news topics
- Maintain a detailed reporting system of media coverage and ROI.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical demands include sitting or standing for extended periods of time, bending, occasional lifting of items weighing up to approximately 25 pounds, regularly moving throughout the building between floors, traveling to outside meetings, regular use of standard office equipment such as the telephone, copier, fax and computer.Demands also involve protracted concentration.Reliable transportation is required.Job involves frequent interactions with internal and external customers, and routinely intense public contact.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proven working experience in Public Relations required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications or Journalism or equivalent combination of experience and education required.
- Proven track record designing and executing successful public relations campaigns at a local level, national level or both.
- Strong knowledge of media relations best practices and AP Style.
- Strong relationships with local media outlets desired.
- Comfortable and skilled in both broadcast and print media interviews.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Solid experience with social media including blogs, Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Event planning experience.
- Computer savvy; working knowledge of databases and design software (e.g. Photoshop) is a plus.
- Well-organized, able to work with multiple deadlines.
Strong attention to details.