About United Way:
We unite people to create change that lasts: We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone – individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on the three core building blocks of a strong, vibrant community: ensuring that all families have the resources and opportunities to lift themselves out of poverty; preparing children to enter school ready to learn and succeed. Inspiring and supporting youth to stay in school and realize positive options for the future.
STATUS: Two-year grant-funded position with possibility of extending the assignment contingent upon availability of funds.
Boston Builds Credit (BBC) is a new initiative being implemented by Mayor Walsh’s Office of Financial Empowerment (OFE), the United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley (United Way), LISC Boston (Lead Partners) and other community partners to assist Boston’s 250,000 residents with low or no credit scores. BBC seeks a dynamic leader to be its Founding Director, with responsibility for overall management of this start-up citywide initiative. The Project Director will be responsible for overseeing five areas of the BBC program: (1) recruitment of potential supporters and collaborators, including community partners, financial services partners and funders; (2) implementation of credit building services for key constituencies beginning with a community-based roll-out in Roxbury; (3) a public information campaign designed to promote public awareness of the rules of credit building; (4) public policy initiatives to increase availability of credit building services/products and consumer protections for Boston residents, and (5) evaluation and research related to the project. The Project Director will report to United Way’s Senior Director, Community Impact, working closely with the Lead Partners.
Management, Program Development, and Oversight
Plan and oversee the administration of the BBC through programs and activities that support the goals of the project and the Lead Partner’s economic mobility vision:
- Implement objectives consistent with the organizational mission, goals and activities outlined in the BBC business plan.
- Oversee the implementation of the BBC pilot in Roxbury and subsequent expansion to other neighborhoods.
- Provide leadership and direction to program partners in the management of their designated responsibilities and desired outcomes.
- Recruit and orient staff and volunteers on program’s objectives and activities.
- Supervise and manage staff hired for the project.
- Develop and implement strategies to promote participation and maximize positive credit building outcomes for residents.
- Design, review, and help finalize written materials for program and related activities.
- Develop capacity for reading credit reports and understanding/communicating all of the Lead Partners’ financial capability programs.
- Maintain overall responsibility for data collection and analysis using a shared database provided by United Way.
- Travel to program sites and events within Boston to provide encouragement, technical assistance, and other support as needed.
- Implement program compliance internally and with program partners.
- Oversee distribution and management of materials across participating organizations.
- Develop and monitor contracts with vendors and consultants hired to support the project.
- Coordinate and monitor performance for any grant awards issued to community partners in the project.
- Identify new activities and opportunities, including recruitment of new partners, identification of new strategies for promoting credit building and cross-promotion of Lead Partner programs.
Communication and Reporting Responsibilities
Ability to articulate the mission, objectives, and activities of BBC and the Lead Partners. Responsible for program reporting, including internal and external reporting, data management, and record keeping:
- Organize and staff regular Lead Partner meetings that will provide oversight of the project’s goals performance and future direction.
- Prepare updates on BBC sites, partner and client activity for Lead Partners and funders.
- Develop and implement social media strategy and other marketing campaigns.
- Prepare timey reports on compliance, performance, demographics, budgets and program record keeping for Lead Partners and funders.
- Facilitate the implementation and reporting of client information and outcomes by participating organizations.
- Ensure confidential maintenance of client information.
- Oversee and maintain shared database to capture client-level credit and related financial information.
- Facilitate analysis of program data using both internal staff and external evaluation.
- Coordinate external evaluation of the project, working closely with an evaluation consultant.
- Assist with content creation and management of BBC website, as needed.
- Other projects and initiatives, as needed.
- Degree from four year college; graduate degree or demonstrated experience in program implementation, handling multiple priorities, and/or working for a nonprofit or community based organization.
- Ability to work independently in fast paced environment
- Strong communication and analytical skills and sense of humor. Bilingual skills desired.
- Familiarity with database management and program evaluation.
- Boston residency preferred.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends from time to time, if needed.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley, Human Resources Coordinator, 51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210. Fax: 617- 624-9114 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on additional opportunities, please access our Web Site at www.unitedwaymassbay.org
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.