United Way’s OC Free Tax Prep Campaign educates the community about the Earned Income Tax Credits and offers free tax preparation services to low and moderate income taxpayers throughout Orange County by participating in the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. The Campaign is a partnership with the IRS, Franchise Tax Board, and over 30 local organizations. The Campaign is part of Orange County United Way’s Income strategies, which assist residents to become financially independent by focusing on education and services that build financial stability.
Purpose of Position
The VITA Program Specialist is a part of the OC Free Tax Prep Campaign team and provides courteous and prompt support to callers of the Campaign Appointment Hotline. The VITA Program Specialist will answer telephone calls regarding the 2020 Filing Season, Earned Income Tax Credits, and Free Tax Prep Campaign qualifications. Program Specialist will screen and direct qualified callers to available free tax preparation sites in Orange County and/or schedule appointments for qualified callers through an online scheduling system.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Project Manager the Program Specialist will:
- Complete necessary VITA training and certification tests
- Attend Hotline Training
- Respond to all Appointment Hotline phone calls providing courteous and accurate service
- Screen callers for free tax filing eligibility
- Schedule free tax filing appointments for callers when appropriate
- Direct callers to available free tax preparation sites when appropriate
- Direct callers to 2-1-1 OC for needs outside of free tax filing services
- Direct callers to OCUW’s Covered CA Enrollment Counselors when appropriate
- Attend relevant meetings and committees as directed by Project Manager
- Assist at free tax preparation events when needed as an Assistant Site Coordinator, Tax Preparer, and Quality Reviewer
- Complete additional related tasks when requested
The ideal VITA Program Specialist will have the following education and skill requirements:
- Excellent verbal communication, listening, and problem solving skills
- Be computer literate and have comfort scheduling callers through an on-line database system
- Experience with hotline, call-center, or customer service preferred
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced setting
- Ability to successfully complete IRS VITA training and certification requirements through the Advanced Level
- GED and/or some college experience
All staff are required to pass (at minimum) the online IRS certifications in Basic, Advanced, and Health Savings Account once hired. Training is online and in-person through IRS and OC United Way. Exams are multiple choice and open book. While all training is self-paced and can be completed online, you will be offered several days in-house to complete your certifications in December or January.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is required to talk and hear in-person and on the phone. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers to handle or feel. The employee is required to stand, walk, and reach with arms and hands. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
30-35 hours/week, Monday-Friday, hours may vary.
If your schedule allows, you may be asked to assist with tax preparation events on evenings and weekends.
Send Resumes To:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South, Irvine, CA 92614