United Way of Greater Houston’s work is centered on moving people to financial stability. Financial stability services with support from early childhood and youth development programs, health care programs, escape from violence programs and basic needs programs will help families in our community not only become financially stable, but also build stronger, more sustainable futures for themselves and their children.
Everyone has different goals, different needs, and different strengths, and helping families not only land on their feet but stay there requires a tailored approach and support at every stop. That is why our strategy includes navigators to coach families as they create their unique plans, a technology platform to streamline coordination and access to services, and the kind of foundational support that allows people to focus on the future.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Program Manager helps build and maintain relationships with individuals, public and private sector community institutions and nonprofit organizations in order to identify community needs, develop approaches to meeting needs, and ensure successful implementation of United Way Community Outreach efforts in the community.
Provides leadership to United Way’s convening efforts in support of disaster recovery initiatives. Coordinates internal United Way efforts in Disaster Recovery, maintaining processes and functions to support on-going preparedness efforts and funding. Assists in the development and implementation of a cohesive external recovery plan, building relationships with targeted community stakeholders to determine the best practices for achieving highest impact results.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Provide leadership in building external disaster recovery networks. Implements collaboration best practices to improve the functioning and impact of disaster recovery work. Maintains and builds current initiatives. Works with external and internal partners, make recommendations for new community projects and initiatives to ensure established goals, outcomes and data reporting requirements are met. Responsible for planning and execution of partner meetings, funding processes, and other related projects, including developing calendars, communication platforms and other tools. Identifies and carries out opportunities to promote enhanced collaboration among initiative partners in key impact areas.
- Staff internal United Way efforts in disaster recovery: Assist in providing direction for Disaster Fund processes, fund management and disaster recovery teams, providing organizational and technical support to ensure ability to meet organization’s ability to respond to disasters. Provides for general and customized programs to support preparedness.
- Develop a community-wide recovery plan to ensure continuing operations of critical human services. Builds relationships with targeted community stakeholders to outline recovery process for the Long-Term Recovery Committee that serves our community. Works with the committee to develop an operations continuity manual that outlines the committee, workgroups, process maps, strategies, forms, best practices and lessons learned.
- Other activities in support of United Way, Community Impact and Community Outreach: Provide support to efforts that advance the goals of the Community Outreach Department. Performs other related duties or special assignments in support of the United Way.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.