United Way of Central Iowa (UWCI) is seeking a program director for OpportUNITY, a community-wide plan for poverty reduction in Central Iowa. The program director brings together community and regional groups, businesses, government entities, nonprofits and individuals to identify common ground and collective interests in poverty reduction, socioeconomic inclusion and community development. The plan outlines performance measures and action steps, and the program director will oversee and coordinate necessary work and collaborations to meet the goals of the initiative. This program is funded by UWCI and corporate partners and the program will remain viable as long as funding is secured.
This position reports to the UWCI Chief Income Officer and works closely with the programs’ leadership roundtable. The director oversees a full-time project coordinator who provides administrative and marketing support for the plan. This position works collaboratively with other UWCI staff members to ensure planning focuses on the community impact agenda and meets both organizational and plan goals. The successful candidate will have a proven ability to lead a complex project and a diverse team of volunteers and possess a sophisticated knowledge of social policy, government and community practices, and the mechanics of research, project planning and evaluation. This position requires an individual with strong and proven competencies in relationship building, grassroots organizing, community collaborations, leadership and ability to handle multiple projects.
Why Choose UWCI?
United Way of Central Iowa is an established and highly respected nonprofit in the Central Iowa area and the United Way Worldwide network. Employees at UWCI have a passion for the organization’s mission and community impact work and strive to create a positive, inclusive and welcoming work environment. Our Core Values of Compassion, Integrity, Community Engagement, Responsiveness and Striving for Excellence is the foundation for how we do our work and to reach our aspiration to “Engage Community to Empower All.” This regular full time position has a competitive salary and robust benefits package including health insurance, a dental plan, 401(k) with match and paid life insurance. We also offer the following:
- On-site cafeteria
- Free on-site fitness center
- Commitment to employee professional development
- Fostering Diversity and Inclusion Strategies and Culture
- Fun monthly opportunities for employees to build camaraderie
- Wellness initiatives
- Convenient central Des Moines location with free parking
- Paid volunteer time off
- Participating in cross-functional teams and organization-wide initiatives and projects
- Tuition Assistance
- Generous paid vacation plan, holidays, a personal holiday and sick time
Essential Accountabilities include: (but not limited to)
- Develop strategic planning processes to identify regional poverty reduction priorities and identifies ways to integrate efforts, as the OpportUNITY plan evolves.
- Coordinates the work of the OpportUNITY Leadership Roundtable and any other committees/task forces as appropriate.
- Analyzes, interprets and synthesize information from a variety of sources and prepare reports and recommendations for a broad range of constituency groups.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key stakeholders; build partnerships and champion multi-sector participation.
- Monitors progress toward successful implementation of the plan goals and objectives.
- Integrates the plan into other regional plans when applicable.
- Leads plan communications including social media outreach.
- Manages the Project Coordinator position for administrative and marketing support.
- Oversees the fundraising for the OpportUNITY work to maintain program viabillty.
- Develops and deliver presentations to organizations, businesses, potential funders, and other community stakeholders on the OpportUNITY work.
- Focuses on the origin of OpportUNITY and connect historical date with a future direction.