December 5, 2019
Job Announcement: Program Coordinator, Financial Stability
At United Way of King County, we value creative, self-motivated people who care deeply about creating community solutions. Together, we’re building a community where people have homes, students graduate and families are financially stable. If you’re interested in joining a recognized leader in solving the community’s toughest challenges and supporting our ending poverty work, then the Financial Stability Program Coordinator position might be a great fit for you.
United Way’s Free Tax Preparation Campaign is one of the largest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Programs in the nation. This position will be responsible for coordinating the operations of the Free Tax Preparation Campaign and helping the program grow to serve over 25,000 low income tax payers annually. The Financial Stability Program Coordinator will also lead the recruitment and management of 1,200 volunteers, coordinate the outreach campaign, and provide high quality tax law training and support to tax volunteers and site managers. We’re looking for someone who will work closely with the Financial Stability Program Manager in assisting with all relevant programming including service delivery, data collection, program evaluation, and grant compliance, as well as being actively involved in supporting programs on the ending homelessness and poverty team.
- Supports the strategic planning and execution of the annual Free Tax Preparation Campaign, makes budgetary recommendations and helps set spending strategies, particularly with regards to technology and volunteers for the Financial Stability programs.
- Develops community outreach plans, conducts outreach and recruitment activities for over 1,200 Free Tax Preparation Campaign volunteers and serves as a liaison between 50 United Way site hosts and other community partners throughout the year.
- Leads process of identifying, developing and implementing Volunteer Intake and Benefits (VIB’s) program and other financial empowerment opportunities for tax clients.
- Participates in public speaking and various community outreach activities on behalf of the Free Tax Preparation Campaign and United Way.
- Manages technology at seasonal tax preparation sites before and during tax filing season, including the setup, launch and optimization of individual Free Tax Preparation Campaign site operations and maintenance of 100+ laptops for program use.
- Develops, coordinates and conducts trainings on tax law and program orientation for volunteers, Site Managers and other paid staff.
- Maintains ongoing communication and outreach strategies for Financial Stability projects, including social media activities such as the UWKC blog and the Free Tax Campaign Facebook page.
- Actively participates in efforts to reduce racial dipartites and systems of oppression.
- Provides volunteer management support at multiple program sites throughout the year and oversees National Service Members.
- Provides logistical support and assistance to all tax site locations, including operations of alternative models of tax preparation.
- Ensures timely and appropriate data collection, analysis and reporting delivered to funders.
- Manages and supports projects as needed as part of broader Financial Stability work, including Summer Meals, Fuel Your Future, Benefits Hub, Street to Home and the series of Family and Community Resource Exchange events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Detail-oriented, able to quickly and concisely synthesize large amounts of information.
- Sufficient tax knowledge to teach 16 hour training course for volunteers.
- Proven ability to multi-task; effective time and project management skills; able to independently plan projects from inception to execution.
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills in a fast paced environment.
- Strong cross-team collaboration, facilitation and consensus-building skills; able to work independently in a team environment and make sound decisions with minimal supervision.
- Passion for helping low-income families and individuals build wealth and move out of poverty.
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) and public speaking skills -- must be able to explain complex information in a clear and concise manner for volunteers, clients, and other community contacts.
- Intermediate proficiency with MS Office and proficient in the use of personal technology such as networking, installation and customization of software and wireless technology.
Education and/or Experience:
Associate’s degree, or equivalent, specializing in Business Administration, Social Science or a related field. One year of experience in program coordination/management, volunteer management or community outreach. Prior knowledge of tax preparation law and/or software, VITA services, and/or knowledge of public benefit programs highly preferable. Willingness and ability to become proficient in using TaxSlayer software and obtain IRS tax certification at the Advanced level. Speak and/or understanding a second language such as Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian or Amharic, a plus. Additionally, The position requires a flexible schedule on weekends and evenings, particularly November through April.
The annual recruitment range is $56,500-$60,000 depending on successful experience and prior accomplishments. Interviews will be scheduled as applications come in. Don’t hesitate, apply here today.
Note: All candidates MUST apply on our Careers Website in order to be considered for this position.
Additionally, we offer a full package of competitive benefits for our full-time, regular staff. Benefits include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance services
- Annual accrual of 20 days paid time off
- 10 paid scheduled holidays
- 1 floating holiday and 1 discretionary day off
- Catastrophic leave
- Subsidized Orca Card Transit pass
- 403(b) retirement savings plan and employer match
- Other benefits that we are happy to discuss with you
United Way of King County is an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We strongly encourage people of color to apply.
We are an Employer of National Service: AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.