United Way of Northeast Georgia (UWNEGA) has been serving a thirteen-county region for over 50 years, investing more than $100 million into local nonprofits. UWNEGA has supported many organizations, meeting various needs for the most vulnerable individuals and families in the community. The organization has provided philanthropic links from local business to the nonprofit community through volunteerism and financial investment. The agency is based in Athens, which is considered the central county. It is a dynamic geographic area that highlights multiple centers of higher education, including the state’s flagship four-year university, high-quality healthcare, and dynamic arts and entertainment scenes combined with a stunning natural environment. At the same time, the needs are acute - and often diverse - from one county to the next. Those needs range from access to drug addiction treatment, mental health services, or affordable high-quality childcare, to workforce development and solutions that address significant pay gaps. While some challenges are common across the thirteen-county region served by this great organization, the diversity of needs in each community presents both challenges and opportunities.
In 2017 and 2018, United Way of Northeast Georgia engaged partners in the region to craft a five-year Community Impact Agenda that boldly charts a way forward, focusing on the most pressing needs of the region: education, workforce development, and healthcare access. The seven-staff-member agency and its partners face tremendous opportunity in aligning those focus areas across the thirteen counties, which share many common challenges, while also tailoring solutions to the unique needs - and resources - of each county.
As the needs of our community grow and evolve, we stand at the crossroads of identified problems and viable solutions. The agency empowers those with the means to invest back into the community in a way that will create the most positive impact in the region.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The President/CEO is the leader of the UWNEGA, establishing a vision for Community Impact that is achieved through:
- Building and nurturing a team with varied strengths of all-star leaders, staff and volunteers alike.
- Being a chief mobilizer, visionary, and provider of motivational direction.
- Providing leadership at the local and regional level.
- Enthusiastically driving an organization to higher levels of performance, efficiency, and growth through inspiring action and commitment to the best results.
- Actively increasing visibility, reputation, and competitive advantage that generates interest and passion for investing in the community.
- Building significant relationships, networking across private, public, and corporate sectors to improve conditions.
- Possessing high levels of knowledge in broad business and management skills and is effective at achieving financial and measurable goals.
- Leveraging the power of networks; leveraging the 1,800+ United Ways, its collective buying power, 11,000+ employees, and 30,000+ board members.
- Being the steward for growing and striving to share our values, trust, and positive impact on the community.
- Demonstrating organizational management and strategic vision/design.
- Demonstrating a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Organization Management: Leading, building and ensuring high performing teams that produce aligned and collaborative results, while maintaining operational accountability and integrity.
- Community Impact: Craft and adapt the strategy to achieve increasing commitment to establish relationships with leaders of business, government and non-profit sectors.
- Resource Development: Produce creativity in fundraising while enhancing partnerships with corporate and professional contacts. Support opportunities to be formed with both staff and board members.
- Strategic Management: Be the liaison for the board to help craft organizational goals, develop techniques for success and provide guidance in policy interpretation.
- Manage and promote diversity among senior leadership, the Chief Financial Officer, staff, and volunteers
- 5-10 years working in the nonprofit sector, United Way experience is strongly preferred, but not necessary.
- Five years’ experience managing and developing staff, building revenue, and maintaining budgets of a minimum of $1 million.
- Must have a long-term perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done with wisdom and good judgment.
- Foundation-like fundraising experience is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; a high energy level and sense of humor.
- An understanding of education, healthcare, and workforce development initiatives.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of partners while building lasting relationships.
- A proven track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
- Experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit environments.
- Experience in developing partnerships, establishing teams and conflict management.
Four-year degree in business, public administration, human services, or related fields preferred.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS: Please register as a jobseeker at Careers.UnitedWay.org and fully complete your jobseeker profile. Your application will not be considered if your jobseeker profile is not complete.