Position Title: President & Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board of Directors
United Way of Northeast Georgia has been serving an thirteen-county region for over 50 years, investing more than $100 million into local nonprofits. United Way of Northeast Georgia has supported over twenty organizations, meeting the needs of the most vulnerable individuals and families in the community. The organization has provided philanthropic links from local business to the nonprofit community through volunteerism and financial investment. The agency is based in Athens, the central county in the region served by United Way of Northeast Georgia. It is a dynamic geographic area that boasts multiple centers of higher education, including the state’s flagship four-year university, high-quality healthcare, and dynamic arts and entertainment scenes combined with stunning natural beauty. At the same time, the needs in the region are acute - and often diverse - from one county to the next. Those needs range from access to drug addiction and mental health centers to affordable, high-quality childcare to workforce development and solutions that address significant pay gaps. While some challenges are common across the thirteen-county region served by United Way of Northeast Georgia, the diversity of needs in each community present both challenges and opportunities.
In 2017 and 2018, United Way of Northeast Georgia engaged stakeholders in those eight counties to craft a five-year Community Impact Agenda that boldly charts a way forward, focusing on the most pressing needs of the region: education, workforce development, and healthcare access. The seven-staff-member agency and its partners face tremendous opportunity in aligning those focus areas across the thirteen counties, which share many common challenges, while also tailoring solutions to the unique needs - and resources - of each county.
As the needs of our community grow and evolve, United Way of Northeast Georgia stands at the crossroads of identified problems and viable solutions. The agency occupies a unique position to empower those with the means to invest back into the community in a way that will create the most positive impact in the region.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The President/CEO is the leader of the organization, establishing a vision for Community Impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff and volunteers alike. The President/CEO is the Chief Mobilizer; s/he leverages the power of relationships and networks, and works across private, public and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community. The President/CEO possesses a high level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization. The President/CEO is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good – creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies for broad investment and impact. The President/CEO is the steward of brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation of United Way. S/he is responsible for building trust in United Way and its relevance in the community. S/he values network and strives to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
The President/CEO is responsible for the overall impact of United Way of Northeast Georgia on the community, with particular emphasis on increasing its capacity to drive the impact agenda. The President/CEO works closely with the Board to craft and adapt the strategy to achieve this increased impact, including raising the funds to support it. S/he will establish and build relationships with top leaders in the community, including those representing the highest levels in business, government and non-profit sectors.
The President/CEO is charged to drive key results in fundraising; to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners; to leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and to promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and board level.
The President/CEO serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors and its key committees and gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. S/he partners with the Board of Directors and the United Way of Northeast Georgia Senior Leadership team to craft organizational goals and develops strategies to ensure that they are achieved. S/he ensures coordination and alignment of all United Way activities to strategic direction in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment.
The President/CEO is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results. S/he maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. The President/CEO assesses organizational capacity to implement strategies and identify gaps in systems and staffing; directly supervises Senior Leadership positions and establishes individual goals; works with the Chief Financial Officer to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risks; and ensures that United Way of Northeast Georgia goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met.
- Substantial experience (5-10 years) working in the nonprofit sector (United Way experience is desirable), and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards. Alternatively, extensive experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
- Experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit, public and corporate environments.
- Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and conflict management. Qualified candidate should have at least five years experience managing and developing staff.
- Minimum of five years experience building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
- Minimum of five years experience managing budgets, including a minimum budget of $1 million.
- Must demonstrate a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
S/he has unquestioned integrity; a long-term perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done; wisdom and good judgment; a fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives; excellent verbal and written communication skills; a high energy level and sense of humor.
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE CONSIDERED
- Expertise preferred in areas specific to the United Way of Northeast Georgia Community Impact Agenda: education, healthcare access, and workforce development.
- United Way experience (3-5 years preferred).
- Community Impact model experience.
- Other criteria.
- 4-year degree in business, public administration, human services, or related fields preferred
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
- Visionary: The President/CEO is the Chief Mission Officer, has a clear vision for the organization, confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a better future, providing purpose, direction and motivation.
- Organizational Leadership: The President/CEO demonstrates strategic leadership balanced with authenticity, respect for others, and trust building within the organization, with the Board, and stakeholders. Proactively drives an organization to a higher level of performance, efficiency, and growth through inspiring action and commitment for best results
- Influence in the Marketplace: The President/CEO has growth mindset, builds and cultivates network of relationships, is influential and leverages United Way’s unique position to proactively increase visibility, reputation, and competitive advantage that generates interest, passion for investing in community. Successfully navigates the complex dynamics of local, regional and national environment.
- Grow Business and Revenue: The President/CEO possesses a high-level of business acumen and broad management skillset, is effective at generating and growing financial support for the organization. Is able to raise funds by effectively engaging and linking a variety of donors (individuals, corporations, major giving, and other segments) and volunteers to inform and contribute to advancing the mission.
- Partnership Mindset and Network-Oriented: The President/ CEO has a partnership mindset: s/he values and leverages the power of networks; Is leveraging the 1,800+ United Ways, its collective buying power, 11,000+ employees, 30,000+ board members, and United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategies. Provides leadership at the local, regional, national, and global level.
- Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multicultural leaders and stakeholders.
CORE for All Staff
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
For the highest level of consideration, please complete the applicant profile in addition to submitting your resume.