For over 100 years, United Way of Buffalo & Erie County has united the community to improve the health, education & financial stability of every person in every community in Erie County. United Way of Buffalo & Erie County mobilizes thousands of people every year to give, advocate, and volunteer to help children reach their full potential, families achieve financial stability, and our whole community attain and maintain good health and wellness. For more information, visit www.uwbec.org.
United Way of Buffalo & Erie County is seeking a strategic, collaborative and performance focused individual for our President and CEO position. The ideal candidate will provide executive level leadership on behalf of United Way through representation and advocacy within the community and by raising awareness, building relationships, and raising funds to advance the mission.
- Enhance organizational and operational excellence by developing a strategic direction that is consistent with agency mission, complementary to community needs and supported by Board leadership.
- Build and strengthen relationships with key stakeholders that support the work of the United Way.
- Partner with the Board to develop a shared vision for the future of the organization, build understanding around the current mission, and develop goals and strategies to advance that mission.
- Develop relationships with staff that encourage effective communications and team building leading to quality outcomes and organizational effectiveness.
- Build, manage and sustain a Leadership Team that assures best practice business processes;
- Assure the organization operates within a framework of sound governance practices through training, information dissemination and active communication.
- Develop and implement fundraising and financial development strategies that are customer relations oriented, compelling and inspirational.
- Ensure that effective planning and budgeting systems are in place and that United Way’s goals and strategic plan serve as the basis for sound financial planning.
- Ensure that qualified and diverse staff is hired to accurately monitor, assess, and manage the operating and fiscal health of the organization.
- Guide the organization toward innovative and effective Community Impact work that is consistent with identified local priorities in the areas of Education, Income and Health & Wellness.
- Increase the visibility of the United Way, the community’s knowledge of goals/objectives and a shared sense of local community that has the potential to improve quality of life for its citizens.
- Provide support and direction for the operational effectiveness and performance of the Resource Development division.
- Provide supervision and direction of grant acquisition and grant management activities that are complementary to the mission of the organization.
- Incorporate diversity equity and inclusion into the organization's internal and external operations.
- Visibly demonstrates UW values of service, integrity, collaboration, accountability, equity & agility.
Education, Skills, Knowledge, Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four year accredited College or University with 5+ years of executive leadership experience.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Health & Human Services preferred.
- Proven Leadership ability, effective and innovative in building and nurturing community relationships and fundraising capacity.
- Superior communication skills with ability to convey both intellectual and emotional brand impact with all audiences including staff, board, volunteers, and community.
- Knowledgeable regarding what must change and what must remain the same to accomplish the organization’s mission and realize its vision.
- Proven relationship builder/influence manager with political acumen.
- Demonstrated track record in generating financial resources and managing investor relations.
- Effective manager and developer of organizational talent.
- Substantive knowledge of health, human service and educational programs and services.
- Ability to ensure effective systems, processes, and talent are in place to facilitate the development and delivery of programs, education and outreach, policy development, administration and operations, financial planning and management, fundraising and resource development.
- Demonstrated qualities consistent with expected core competencies.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.