POSITION SUMMARY: The President & Chief Executive Officer of the United Way of Greater Greensboro is a mission- driven, collaborative, innovative, equity driven and social impact focused position. This person will serve as the brand ambassador and champion of the United Way of Greater Greensboro in the community, across all stakeholders, including donors, volunteers, business leaders, community members, nonprofit leaders, government, education partners, strategy partners, families served and more. The President and CEO will leverage the power of relationships and networks, working across private, public, and corporate sectors to improve outcomes linked to generational poverty in the Greensboro community.
The President & Chief Executive Officer will not only serve as the senior leader of the organization but will also have significant contact with the Board of Directors. This position will report directly to the Board of Directors and manage a team of direct reports. The members of the Board of Directors are made up of community influencers and leaders within the greater Greensboro area. In addition, This position will have exposure to constituents, business leaders, community leaders, City of Greensboro elected officials and staff members throughout the community.
Strategic and Operational Leadership:
- Develop and deploy the annual operating plan that supports the five-year strategic plan.
- Establish best practices across all business functions.
- Advance the operating budget to support delivering on business goals and objectives.
- Support the plan for fundraising.
- Lead a Center of Excellence mind-set to end poverty.
- Serve as the brand ambassador, community partner, and convener across multiple sectors.
- Lead revenue diversification from local, regional, and national sources.
- Leverage the principles of equity, inclusion, and diversity across all business practices.
- Initiate local, regional, and national partnerships aligned with anti-poverty.
- Serve as a thought partner to the Board of Director’s Chairperson and board committees.
- Serve as the primary United Way of Greater Greensboro spokesperson and thought leader.
- Lead Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Strategic Planning, and Governance committees in the furtherance of their goals.
- Maintain an organizational focus on the issue and impact of generational poverty.
- Lead the annual planning and retreat with members of the Board of Directors, the Senior Leadership Team, and all staff.
- Champion and lead the annual performance assessment of key volunteers and employees.
- Engage all members of the team.
- Create and approve annual staff development and succession planning.
- Instill principles of equity, inclusion, diversity and belonging in all people systems.
- Serve as the orientation partner for all new Board of Director and staff members.
- Approve annual action plans for key volunteers and employees based on assessments (engagement surveys) and ongoing feedback channels.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Must be willing to study the issue of poverty and become an advocate for solutions.
- Must be willing to meet and engage existing and new business partners.
- Must demonstrate servant leadership.
- Must be approachable and transparent.
- Must have strong communication skills, both verbal and written, including demonstrated presentation and public speaking skills.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to exercise independent judgment and critical thinking.
- Must demonstrate strong financial acumen.
- Must be organized with strong planning and follow-up skills.
- Must be able to influence others.
- Strong planning and organization skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to function effectively in a diverse, fast-paced and changing work environment.
- Must know the philanthropic landscape of Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Must be able to build community collaborations.
- Proficient Computer Skills – Thorough knowledge of MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint; database experience; internet research
- Must demonstrate professional maturity and personal accountability.
- Dedication to mission of United Way of Greater Greensboro.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree highly desired, MPA or MBA preferred
- Previous experience as a CEO in a community based organization preferred
- Experience with human services or social impact organizations as an employee or volunteer
- Experience collaborating with business professionals