The President/CEO is the face and voice of the United Way of Tompkins County. They will establish a vision for Community Impact achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff, and volunteers. The President/CEO is the Chief Mobilizer; they leverage the power of relationships and networks, and work across private, public, and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community. The President/CEO is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good - creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies for broad investment and impact.
They are responsible for building trust in United Way and growing its relevance in the community. They value United Way’s community networks and strive to leverage United Way's breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategies. They will be responsible for leading the organizations efforts to hold United Way of Tompkins County and its partners accountable to practices that embrace anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Community Impact
The President / CEO is responsible for the overall impact of United Way of Tompkins County in the community, with particular emphasis on increasing its capacity to drive the impact agenda. The President works closely with the Board to craft and adapt strategies to achieve this increased impact. They will establish and build relationships with top leaders in the community, including those representing the business, education, government, and non-profit sectors.
• Resource Development
The President/CEO is charged to drive key results in fundraising; to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and new corporate partners; to leverage contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and to promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and board level.
• Strategic Management
The President/CEO serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors and its key committees and gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. They partner with the Board of Directors and the United Way of Tompkins County staff to craft organizational goals and develop strategies to ensure that the goals are achieved. They ensure coordination and alignment of all United Way activities to strategic direction in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment.
• Organization Management
The President/CEO is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring that all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results. They maintain accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. The President/CEO assesses organizational capacity to implement strategies and to identify gaps in systems and staffing. They directly supervise leadership positions; work with other team members to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risks. They foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment utilizing modern management techniques to improve efficiency and effectiveness. They ensure that United Way of Tompkins County’s goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met, and that the organization champions the special skills and talents of its workforce.
Experience and Position Requirements
• Substantial experience working in the nonprofit sector (United Way experience is desirable), and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards. Alternatively, extensive experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission.
• Knowledge of the mission and values of the United Way organization.
• Direct experience working with boards and committees.
• An ability to build collaboration with stakeholders and the community at large to meet collective goals.
• Experience working with nonprofit, public and corporate sectors.
• A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion in both programming and in the workplace. • Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and with conflict management.
• Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
• Experience exploring new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
• Experience with public speaking and excellent writing skills.
Education and Professional Background
• Bachelor’s degree: advanced degree would enhance qualifications. • Past experience as CEO, Executive Director or interim CEO/ED or equivalent is preferred.
• Minimum of six (6) years of experience with diverse business management functions such as marketing, stakeholder relationship building, public relations, corporate governance, budgeting, finance & general management best practices etc.
• Experience in managing and developing teams to motivate performance.
• Experience with fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector: President/CEO demonstrates quantifiable success in fundraising with a proven track record in donor stewardship.
United Way Core Competencies for All Staff
• Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations. • Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
• Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
• Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
• Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network
Position Type and Compensation
• Full-time, exempt, permanent position (40 hours per week) with mostly weekdays but occasional evenings and weekends
• Salary range: $95,000-$110,000
• UWTC’s benefits package includes: subsidized medical insurance, fully paid dental/vision/life/short-and long-term disability insurances, a 403(b) pre-tax retirement plan for employee contributions, a 401k retirement plan with employer contributions (eligible at 1 year and fully vested at 5 years), employee assistance program, and a generous paid leave policy.
United Way of Tompkins County is an innovative and collaborative nonprofit organization that drives solutions to the most pressing human service community needs in Tompkins County. Through our advocacy and relevant leadership, we provide options for impactful giving, and we fund programs and initiatives that help create a thriving community. Our engaged staff, board, volunteers, donors, and partnerships distinguish us as a trusted champion for positive change. Our mission is to strengthen lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
United Way of Tompkins County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at UWTC are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to (including but not limited to) race, creed, sex, gender expression/identity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics, military or veteran status, or status in any group protected by federal, state, and local law.
Applicants must email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume, cover letter, and name and contact information of three (3) professional references (will not be contacted without prior authorization from the candidate).
Any questions can also be emailed to email@example.com.
Resumes/application materials accepted until 5:00PM November 21, 2022.