Job Title: President/CEO
Reports to: Board Chair, Board of Directors
Location: Winchester, Virginia
Position Type: Full Time
The President/CEO is responsible for United Way of Northern Shenandoah Valley’s (UWNSV) mission and has the authority, within the framework of the UWNSV’s plans, policies and Bylaws, to take necessary action to perform the job responsibilities.
The President/CEO will be a mission-driven, collaborative, and innovative leader and manager. They will serve as the brand ambassador and champion of UWNSV in the community, which includes connecting with a constituency of donors/supporters, recipients of services, individuals, associations, agencies, government, businesses, and other institutions. They will leverage the power of relationships and networks, working across private, public, and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community. As chief spokesperson, the President/CEO will insure that UWNSV, its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a positive, collaborative manner.
- Visionary: The CEO is the Chief Mission Officer, has a clear vision for the organization, confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
- Organizational Leadership: The CEO demonstrates strategic leadership balanced with authenticity, respect for others, and trust-building within the organization, the Board of Directors, and stakeholders. The CEO proactively drives the organization to a higher level of performance, efficiency, and growth through inspiring action and commitment for best results.
- Influence in the Community: The CEO is a collaborator and cultivates a network of relationships, is influential and leverages United Way’s unique position to proactively increase visibility, reputation, and competitive advantage that generates interest and passion for investing in community. The CEO successfully navigates the complex dynamics of local, regional, and national environments.
- Grow Business and Revenue: The CEO possesses an innovative mindset and a high level of business acumen and management skills to broaden the impact and reach of United Way in our community. The CEO is effective at generating and growing financial support for the organization, is able to raise funds by effectively engaging and linking a variety of donors (individuals, corporations, major giving, and other segments) and volunteers and contributes to advancing the mission. The CEO is expected to solicit gifts directly and through volunteers.
- Partnership Mindset and Network-Oriented: The CEO has a collaborative mindset. They value and leverage the power of networks and United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategies, while providing leadership at the local and regional level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead Development and Oversight of the strategic planning process.
- Lead the development and implementation of the annual operational plan.
- Foster the development of a common vision for UWNSV among volunteers, staff, human service providers and the community.
- Provide clear direction and a sense of priorities.
- Develop innovative approaches to meet the challenges of this new environment.
- Assist the UWNSV Board of Directors, its committees, and general operations in matters of policy formation, interpretation, and implementation.
- Leverage and coordinate resources to ensure strategic alignment in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment.
- Support the Board in the assessment of United Way’s impact.
- Oversee fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, developing innovative future strategies, researching funding sources, establishing an effective process to approaching funders, submitting proposals and grants, and overseeing fundraising records and documentation.
- With the Board of Directors, work toward campaign growth, fundraising successfully within the traditional campaign and planned giving channels and utilizing newer development methods and opportunities to increase giving.
- Utilize effective and innovative resource development strategies and direct staff in planning, organizing, and executing fundraising campaigns.
- Provide overall strategic leadership and management that will position UWNSV to execute on long-term goals in education, income and health.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to diversity objectives.
- Represent the interests of all health and human service nonprofits through advocacy efforts designed to educate corporate and government representatives on community needs.
- Leverage impact by supporting and encouraging partnerships and collaborations between local nonprofits.
- Ability to speak in a way that motivates large and small groups to action.
- Champion innovative approaches towards solving community issues.
- Build and lead a high-performing team and ensure all team members are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results.
- Manage direct reports and assist direct reports in the management of their staff, assuring that adequate training, support, and resources are in place to achieve goals with a focus on a coaching culture.
- Maintain accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors.
- With the Board, manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risk.
- Ensure compliance with all regulations, laws, and standards of ethics.
- Prepare and manage UWNSV’s annual operating budget, including planning of the overall program expenditures, and various line items, such as grants, and designations.
(Equivalent combination of education, training and experience.)
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred)
- 5 Years fundraising experience, preferred in social service organization capacity.
- 3 Years leadership experience
- Experience working with United Way or experience leading similar public or not-for-profit social service agency.
- Evidence of high ethical and character standards.
- Demonstrated track record of community service, high-energy professional, leadership skills and committed to United Way Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- PC and technology proficiency.
- Work under minimum supervision.
- Must complete projects in a timely manner, effectively dealing with continuous interruptions, priority changes and personalities in performance of his/her duties.
- Normal office conditions.
- Employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.