The United Way of the Quad Cities Area, a bi-state community of 325,000 residents in Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois, seeks an inspirational, strategic and operational leader to galvanize community support for its mission to improve lives in the community. The successful candidate will provide leadership of the United Way and serve as a convener and collaborator with other nonprofit, civic, community and business groups to achieve positive community impact. As the leader of a major community organization, the CEO will engage effectively with other community leaders and donors to address community priorities and to help advance the community’s collective agenda, including its Q2030 regional vision of building a cool, creative, connected and prosperous community.
Provides inspirational, strategic and operational leadership for the United Way of the Quad Cities Area in pursuit of its mission: to mobilize people and resources to improve the lives in the community. Serves as a key leader in the nonprofit community, and engages with and builds strong relationships with community leaders in the nonprofit, civic and business sectors. Serves as a champion for philanthropy and volunteerism in the community, and effectively leads fundraising for the United Way and its funded agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree or certifications preferred.
- Ten years of management experience required, including supervision of professional staff, with a minimum five years at a senior-level management position.
- Demonstrated trail of successful leadership in the nonprofit or profit sector, including demonstrated success in change management.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated success in community leadership, including leadership of or involvement in the nonprofit human services sector.
- Experience in working for or service on a board of directors for a nonprofit organization.
- Demonstrated commitment to philanthropy and community development initiatives.
- Commitment to diversity and experience working with diverse communities and audiences.
Knowledge and Abilities:
The ideal candidate will bring the following to this position:
- Excellent communicator
- An inspirational and positive presence and leader
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Excellent in collaborating with community entities to accomplish community impact
- Strong fundraising experience and results
- Effective in working with the business community
- Effective in working with diverse communities
- Strong record of community engagement both professionally and as a volunteer
- Effective in engaging a board of directors in the work of the organization.
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.